Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

phantom nic card installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

greyowl71

MIS
Sep 4, 2002
US
I just finished reinstalling a Win 98 system. Prior to formatting I put in a new d-link nic. The nic came from SBC/Yahoo. As the OS install finished the PnP picked up the nic and installed it. In the device mgr it showed an Intel 8255... installed and working properly. On a subsequent reboot the hardware wizard detected a nic and installed it as an "other device". If removed the wizard would continue to pop-up. I removed the Intel 8255 and the other device then ran the SBC/Yahoo installation program, but it still came up as the Intel nic. Manual installation from the CD is not possible according to SBC phone tech. So then I phyically removed the nic from the computer, but the hardware wizard still tries to install a part that is not even in the computer.

I hope this is clear. I have never seen a system try to install something that doesn't exist.

Thanks,

Several possibilities strike me off the bat; first, do you have onboard LAN? If not, my theory is that perhaps the D-link card uses an Intel chipset. D-link cards often use 3rd party chipsets, mine all use Realtek chips, and it threw me the first time BSD picked them up as Realteks, but they worked fine. Did you try setting up the network on the "intel" card to see if it worked?

There is no integrated NIC. I assumed that the chipset was the intel, but the fact that it was still trying to install after the card was removed is what really confused me. The nic, installed as intel 8255, was not passing data to the ISP, so no it was not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back