Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom MWI with a Mitel / Kinesis environment

Status
Not open for further replies.

handwritten

Technical User
Mar 23, 2012
CA
Hi,

I have an interesting problem. A subset of our users are experiencing phantom message waiting indicators. The light is lit when a new message is waiting, but when the user checks the message, the light is still lit. I suspect this is a problem with our Kinesis voicemail server because in the MWI section for an affected user, the "New Messages" counter is 0, but the "Last MWI sent" is "ON". When I manually resync that user, the light is extinguished and the "Last MWI sent" is "off". I can turn a light on or off manually from any phone with no problem. We are running Kinesis 3.5 and Mitel MCD 6.0 something-or-other.

I just wanted to add that this problem affects users on our 3300 IP platform, as well as analogue users on our Mitel SX-200.

So you have some sort of voicemail that is servicing two different Mitel systems a 3300 and a SX200? And you think its a Mitel problem? Explain the logic behind that conclusion.

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

I don't think it's a Mitel problem. There are no user communities for the Kinesis product, so I was posting here in a last ditch attempt to reach out to anyone who has had similar issues.

ok sorry? Would help if you posted how the Kinesis connects to the mentions Mitel controllers.

There are 20 IP ports between the voicemail server and the 3300. The ports are 5020 IP phone emulation channels. 19 are set to handle voice traffic, and 1 is set to perform MWI status changes.

ok really sounds like an issue with the VM in that it doesn't send an MWI off when the message is played but does when you refresh. Never heard of that brand of VM before so can't help.

You sure that VM is not setup for more then one MWI port but really only has one connected. The intermitant nature might suggest that if really busy its trying this second port and since there is none it fails. When you refresh its is using the first port again.

That does sound plausible, but look at the port configuration. Only one port is set up to perform MWI.

76gnFYa

It sounds as if it's happening to more than one phone.
If one of the phones happens to have keys on it that are in a hunt group then it could also be that the VM is lighting a lamp for the hunt group and the phone with the lamp is the 1st one involved.
Although in your case is sounds like the VM system.

Here's a related article with a little more depth:
Dry Aquaman

Wow, that article was a blast from the past. I don't think it's applicable because the problem affects users not in a hunt group.

What we just tried was converting a voice port into a MWI port, thus doubling our MWI capacity. We'll see how that worked and I'll post an update.

Thanks everyone for your responses. If there's anyone else out there who uses Kinesis voicemail, I would gladly establish a KA (Kinesis Anonymous) group.

UPDATE: There is no fix. There is no hope. MWI status continues to be a problem, and we have other issues cropping up: delayed message delivery, dropped messages, and other weird behaviour. We're going to switch to another voicemail server platform - probably AVST. Thanks everyone for your help.

A supported platform like Nupoint may be the way to go if you're looking to replace the current VM server. Key word: supported.

I have dreamed a dream, but now that dream has gone from me.

I tried that, and no, there was no callback indicator reported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back