Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Phantom Fields

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zeuromus

Programmer
Nov 22, 2000
US
I have a working report working off of a SQL Database. When I insert a field from a certian table, it causes all other fields to appear blank, when I remove it, all the data comes back. Is this common? Is there a solution for this?

This usually indicates that this table is not linked correctly to the other tables.

Is it just this one field, or any field from that table. If any field, then I would see if the links are correct. Ken Hamady
Crystal Reports Training and a
Quick Reference Guide to VB/Crystal

I have checked the links and resolved the dissappearance issue, but when trying to link to another SQL Database, even though the links checked out okay through Access, they won't work through Crystal Reports! Is there some different way that Crystal Reports views SQL Databases that is preventing the two from linking to eachother?

-Ryan
Zeuromus2000@hotmail.com
rgeiger@computer-gallery.com

Crystal uses ODBC to connect to SQL databases, which is probably the same way that MS Access is doing it. But if they are different database platforms, the link is provided by Crystal, which has some limitations.

What are the databases and what behavior are you experiencing. Ken Hamady

Thanks for all your help. The problem has been solved, the reason that I was getting a blank field and Crystal Reports and a working field in Access, was because Access links SQL bi-directionally whereas in Crystal Reports, the direction of the link is in whatever direction you make it. Thus causing a blank field in Crystal Reports, and a working field in Access... now I have another problem, completely unrelated and probably very simple.
How do I get the date to be formatted MM-DD-YYYY instead of YYYY-MM-DD. The program we are reporting from wants to format the date in YYYY-MM-DD, which is really annoying. Is there a UFL out there to format the date differently??

What exactly is the data type of the field as recognized by Crystal?
If you aren't sure, "browse" the field data with a right click on the field and it will tell you. Ken Hamady

It is created as a string, but I have a UFL that will convert it to a Date field...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back