Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PGP from VB app - costs $15,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

BillGeake

Programmer
Mar 27, 2001
GB
More of a rant than a question...

I've written a VB app for 1 user, which downloads 2 PGP encrypted files and decrypts them, and encrypts and uploads another single file. It will do this once a day. Got it working nicely with v6.5.8 freeware, and now want to buy the commercial version to be legitimate.

I thought this would be simple and cheap - 165 Euros for the one seat. Not so. v7.1.1 does not have a command line or COM interface. I need to buy an "E-Business Server" to get the command line functionality. 9,000 UK pounds. Otherwise, I could buy the SDK at 10,000 - this would let me distribute my app - but I don't want to. A further option is to buy an app from PGP which does most of what my app does. 10,000 pounds again.

So, does anyone know of a cheap solution, or have a commercial copy of 6.5.8 for sale?

Bill.

Look for Robo-FTP this tool allows you to automate your ftp and pgp process and it's not that expensive.

Paconc

I read in this thread where you wrote a vb app using PGP. I've been trying to find code that would help me understand this better. Do you think I can look at your code?

thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi Dave,

Sorry to take so long to reply - just by chance that I read this forum for the first time in months.

In the end I used a component called CryptOCX, which can do PGP and lots of other algorithms too. Cost GBP200 or so.

There are a couple of drawbacks:

1. The property used to set the key folder doesn't understand UNC paths

2. The decrypt procedure can report "Unable to decrypt signature" but it still seems to work

3. The passphrase property must be set to null explicitly if there's no passphrase.

4. The documentation and general presentation shows that the component was written by one man and his dog - which it was.

But it has worked for me - I have 4 apps using it, each of which runs daily by a scheduled task. It has never let me down.

To get the component, go to
HTH

Bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back