Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PGP for Netscape Messaging

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vendor
Nov 27, 1999
BE
Visit site
Is there a way to encrypt and sign mail when I use Netscape messaging ???

Of course!&nbsp;&nbsp;use the hotkeys built into PGP to sign/encrypt the current window.<br><br>ciao<br>Jeff Fanelli<br>Network Associates

During installation-process (windows 98) pgp-software assited me very clearly, telling me about the two-key-system and stuff. But they did not keep their promise: Instead of two keys (a public and a privat one) after generating I find a confusing number of key-file-tipes wich I cannot place at all (*.shf, *.asc, *.pkr, *.skr, *.pubkr, *.pfx…). Aditionally most of them have names of people I’ve never met in my life ;)
So, for example, how can I separate publik key from keypair? I like to send public key via e-mail to some of my friends but make sure not to give away private key accidently. Unfortunetely I don’t have any idea how to separate public key from keypair. When I doubleklick public-keyring –file (*.pkr, I suppose?) the entire keypair appears instead of only the public key and I am asked the confusing question which of the keys I like to import to the keyring.
So, maybe some of you can help a poor newbie out of this.
Hoping: Ulli

Hi Adorno,

all key management related stuff is done in the PGP Keyring applet. Right click on the lock icon in your tray and select PGPKeys. Once there select YOUR keypair, right clic and select export. The system will ask you the name of the ASCII file where to export. By default this will only export your public key. IF you want your private key in there as well(for archiving purpose I guess) just click on the &quot;include private key&quot; box. It's that simple. The other files you will find after a typical installation are only ceritification authorities where you can find repositories of public keys (maybe some of your friends are already there take a look, there are 6 millions of us...) Don't touch any fiels you haven't created with PGPKeys to ensure your installation keeps running smoothly.

Hope this helps...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back