Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

pg_hba.conf problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

keak

Programmer
Sep 12, 2005
CA
Hi there I have a remote computer that is running postgre server. In the pg_hba.conf file, I know there is some setting to allow specific hosts.
I think the following entry allows local host to connect to the server. Is there a way to specify all IP address in the following line, instead of a single one?
host all all 127.0.0.1 255.255.255.255

Now, when I try to connect from a another computer, i get
Missing or erroneous pg_hba.conf file, see postmaster log for details

Looking at my pg_hba.conf, the heading for the entries is:
[tt]
# TYPE DATABASE USER CIDR-ADDRESS METHOD
[/tt]
It looks like you have left out the 'METHOD' for authentication. There's several in the comments for the file. I'm not an expert on them, sorry. But I usually use 'MD5' (encrypted passwords) or 'trust' (insecure, but sometimes I get lazy. It's not visible to the internet, and these people can't figure out email, much less login to the database ;-)).

You may have comments in your stock pg_hba.conf file covering the methods, or you can look here:
Chapter 6. Client Authentication

----
JBR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back