Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pet Peeve 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tsdragon

Programmer
Dec 18, 2000
US
What is your current pet peeve vis-a-vis language and usage?

Mine is the relatively new habit of people trying to sound more educated that they obviously are by using the word "myself" a lot. Unfortunately they rarely use it correctly. They usually use it when they mean "me" or "I". For example: "My wife and myself went to Europe this winter," or "The company gave my coworkers and myself a raise."

It just drives me nuts! [hairpull3]

Tracy Dryden

Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
For you are crunchy, and good with mustard. [dragon]

When people pronounce the word 'realtor' "Ree-La-Ter"
It's "Reel-Ter"
...just a minor one, but it always makes me do a double-take.
J

Reading RCorrigan's Shaggy Dog Story.
<still groaning>

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

TSD Expand that to every phrase / word that is used in a "gaining intelligence" but getting it wrong manner !!

jsteph isn't that meant to be pronounced "Estate Agent" !!!!!!! :)

CC [looks innocent] What ? [/looks innocent]

<Do I need A Signature or will an X do?>

Misuse of your/you're and there/their/they're - especially in e-mails an on-line, which is where I see it the most.

-Dell

A computer only does what you actually told it to do - not what you thought you told it to do. --Me

<facetious>
You know what I really hate? Pet peeve lists.
</facetious>

I suppose for me it's the utterance "irregardless".

Want the best answers? Ask the best questions!

TANSTAAFL!!

Referring to yourself in the third person!

[sup]Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance.[/sup][sup] ~George Bernard Shaw[/sup]
Systems Project Analyst/Custom Forms & PL/SQL - Oracle/Windows
Author and Sole Proprietor of: Emu Products Plus

BJCooperIT, Thadeus hates that too!

~Thadeus

Hilfy: that's VERY common these days, especially, as you say, in email. It's also much more common among younger people. I'm not sure if they're not properly educated, or just don't care.

Side comment: what is the plural of email?

Tracy Dryden

--> Side comment: what is the plural of email? SPAM

Good Luck
--------------
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

I hate "pacific" instead of specific... I also hate when people say, "At this point and time..." WHY can't you just say NOW!!! But really makes my head hurt is "conversate"... I HATE THAT NON-WORD!!! People use it everyday at my job and it makes my skin crawl to hear it!!!

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

CajunCenturion said:
Side comment: what is the plural of email? SPAM

[rofl3]

Tracy Dryden

Mispronunciation of names, especially coworkers' names. After being corrected once or twice, it is one's duty to attempt to pronounce it correctly.

I have a coworker, his name is McDanold. Not McDaniel, not McDonald, not Mcmumblemumble... McDanold. Simple. Learn it, remember it, use it. One of my (former) coworkers refused to even attempt to learn it. Very very annoying.

Other than that, it's the misplaced apostrophe and mixed plural/single noun/pronoun.

Also, I'm reading a lot of resumes right now, and I find a ridiculous number of important sounding polysyllabic words easily replaced with simple words.

Liaisonned between general staff and management, facilitating enhancement of real-time inter-actionary assignment processing.

(Asked mgmt what to do. Assigned tasks to general staff.)

Crap like that gets round-filed.

[red]Note:[/red] [gray]The above comments are the opinionated ravings of Mr3Putt. As such, Mr3Putt accepts no responsibility for damages, real or contrived, resulting from acceptance of his opinions as fact.[/gray]

Use of the non-word irregardless.

People who do not grasp the simple (to me, anyway) concept that apostrophes are almost never used to pluralize.

And finally:

My first name is Francis, and my e-mail signatures spell it correctly, with the i. But the virtual steam comes our of my ears when some people assume my name is spelled "Frances", therby changing my sex. I'm quite happy with the one I have, thank you very much (and this in the same e-mail, no less!).

Just remember - Francis with an 'I' is a guy.

Me transmitte sursum, Caledoni!

Mr3Putt said:
Liaisonned between general staff and management, facilitating enhancement of real-time inter-actionary assignment processing
The whole sentence is ridiculous, but "liaisonned" takes the biscuit!

My own peeve is people who write "of" instead of "have", e.g. "I should of got out of bed earlier"

-------
[sup]I am not responsible for any "Sponsored Links" which may appear in my messages.[/sup]

Following on from Mr3Putt's post about name pronunciation, I have suffered with this my whole life. I can't introduce myself to someone without them going 'What?' My name is Geraint, it's a Welsh name and I'm very proud of it. I can understand people not getting it right the first few times as it's not a common name outside of Wales, but I've sat down with people, got them pronouncing the two syllables correctly and then they put them together and call me something that sounds nothing like my name. It's a hard 'G' the 'e' is pronounced as in 'egg' and the rest is pronounced to rhyme with pint as in 'pint of beer'. What in peoples brains makes it so hard to piece that together? Sorry to rant on but this has always been my pet peeve.

Gez [flame]

Sorry, did I say something wrong? Pardon me for breathing which I never do anyway so I don't know why I bother to say it Oh God I'm so depressed - Marvin, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Geraint: Thanks for setting me straight on the proper pronunciation. I always thought it was a soft G and the last part sounded like 'saint'. I'll remember that.

Francis: I know exactly how you feel! My name is Tracy and I am male. My mother told me that men spell it Tracy, while women spell it Tracey or Tracie. Yet I constantly get mail addressed to Ms. Dryden. When I was married and living in Washington, DC we got mail all the time from lesbian groups who assumed that Tracy and Judy Dryden just had to be a lesbian couple. You would think that they, at least, would be more sensitive about make gender assumptions!

I run into the spelling problem a lot too. My original high school diploma had Tracey on it. It isn't like they didn't know who I was, it was a small school. The principal even knew my name, and not because I was a bad student. The computer I am typing on right now at work has my user-name spelled Tracey. I tried to change it, but you can rename the application settings directory and I didn't feel like having to reconfigure everything again, so I decided to just live with it.

In case you're wondering, "Why Tracy?" it is because my parents had already picked out my middle name (after my great grandmother), and were looking for a first name that sounded good with it. What they came up with works: Tracy Stevenson Dryden.

Tracy Dryden

Hello, this Dimandja."

"You the manager?"

"No. My name is DEE-MAHN-GEEA."

"Aaah... You eyetalian?"

I get the name thing a lot, too, but not to the extent that you guys do... I am female, and my name is Toni, but I get a ton of "Dear Tony" e-mails, even though my signature is my full name, Antonia, which is a Latin name that ends in an "a", which has a feminine connotation...

Also, I really hate "regardless to" instead of "regardless of"... I suppose I give cool points to those who use the term because at least they don't say "irregardless"...

One more thing while I'm on a tangent... "A lot" is TWO WORDS, not one...

Peace,
Toni L. [yinyang]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back