Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive data from Peachtree Quantum 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

kjobob

IS-IT--Management
Aug 25, 2000
US
We are currently using Pervasive with OLE DB to extract data from our Peachtree 2006 data files into our own database for reporting purposes. We just purchased the Peachtree Quantum 2008, and in testing the same process have found that we cannont connect to the Peachtree files. We are getting a logon and password prompt and nothing we try seems to work. Has anyone been seen this or been able to connect to the Peachtree files after the 2008 upgrade? We tried using Pervasive 10.0 and that does not resolve the issue.

Sounds like Peachtree Quantum added a user/password. If that's the case, you'll need the user/password for it from Peachtree.
What error do you get if you don't put a user/password for the connect?

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Error java.io.IOException: could not connect

p.s peachtree is of no help on this one.

Just asks for login name and password. I am pretty sure you are correct and Quantum has added a security password to the database file. I am going to try to talk to them again, maybe this time I will get someone there that has a clue. Thanks for your help.

kb

Did you make any progress on this kjobob? I'm in the same boat - upgraded from PT Complete 2006 to 2008 and now locked out from my Pervasive connection.

That connection was a wonderful tool - so much access to information and reports that PT fails to provide. It was important enougth that we will probably go back to using v2006 adn keeping the connection via pervasive.

Thank you.

Just curious why you extract data from Peachtree file to your own database to report. Why not report directly from the Peachtree files?

is a good resource, you might ask there about this issue. There is also a Peachtree forum here at tek-tips.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

"What version of URGENT!!! are you using?

Thanks for the tip on the other forum. I am registered there too and use it occasionally.

As to why we use Access: a couple of reasons. First, Access report writing is far easier than Crystal and more versatile than PT.

Second, we have additional tables that link to the Peachtree inventory items. In those tables, we have much more information about our products. From this, we can upload to our website store, create product lookups of every imaginable kind (whereas Peachtree only allows lookup by item number or description); and it allows for verification of accurate and complete synchronization of the PT and website data.

As for the original issue w/ Pervasive, here's some more info for anyone who can use it or respond to it: Peachtree says there is no username or password, but that this connection from PervasiveSQL control center just no longer will work. (Skeptical, I am...) They say to download/ use SDK 3rd Party add-on and use that as the link. I'll be trying that...

Matt

We have been the rounds with Peachtree on this, I downloaded the SDK and am not impressed. It uses a comm object that is so old technology, it would require that we totally rewrite all of our downloads. what a pain. They have put a password on all of the files, they told me such. Each file has its own password (to protect us from ourselves they say) thank you Enron). We have not figured out how to get around the password yet, but would love to hear any suggestions. kjobob

I don't mean to start any arguments here, so I will just post this and move on: If you think Access is easier than crystal, you need to spend some quality time with crystal. Also crystal can mix data sources.

Software Sales, Training, Implementation and Support for Macola, eSynergy, and Crystal Reports

Sorry Dgillz I missed your question about reporting directly out of Peachtree. We do reporting for about 20 companies and we download the data into tables so we can can provide and enterprise wide reports package to the owners. A lot of work, but nice for management.

No arguments here...I just personally find crystal both expensive and difficult. Just can't get my mind around it like good ole' VBA script and Access.

Anyway, before the self-protecting passwords on the PT files, that Pervasive link was sweet.

Kjobob: agree with you comments on the SDK. I cannot believe they suggested that as an alternative to our previous setup. I wish I had suggestions on getting around the password but that's over my head. Help anyone???

I did find a firm that is authorized by PT to remove/ reset for password to allow Pervasive ODBC access. See I corresponded w/ Bill Bach who very nicely explained the process and fees. Its $250/ database.

Unfortunately, that's more than I can justify investing in this, so I'm sticking with PT 2006 and writing PT a strongly worded letter.

We all need to badger PT about this. They can't blame this on Sarbanes Oxley. Many accounting systems remain open systems and allow, at a minimum, read-only access. And I suspect that PT is not being used by too many publicly held companies.

Peachtree advertises their own product as working with crystal, which uses ODBC:

They could have a proprietary ODBC connection that works only with Crystal Reports, I have seen this with other packages in the past. I would ask the question how Quantum uses Crystal and see what they say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back