Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pervasive 7 Remote Connection Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

fabbidder

Technical User
Dec 4, 2002
US
We have two accounting programs(DBA Manufacturing V2000.1 & Platinum for Windows V4.8a) that both use Pervasive 7 in Client /Server mode. We've setup a remote location at another building connected fulltime by a VPN tunnel over broadband (T-1 w/ static IPs) to the server. No problems in setting up and running both of the applications remotely. Doing reports with Crystal installed on the remote workstation also works.

I'm now trying to do the same thing from my home over my cable broadband which uses DHCP. Pervasive 7 client won't setup remotely because it fails the TCP/IP test. I assumed that this was because I don't have a static IP assigned and so I tried installing Pervasive 7 Workstation directly on my home PC thinking with the engine running locally I could map to the server for the two databases. Mapping to the databases works fine (I can do file transfers, etc.) but none of the applications (DBA, Platinum or Crystal) will run. All three apps give me a Btrieve 3106 error indicating a connection problem to the target database. Do I have a setting in Pervasive on the server, client or workstation wrong or is it just not possible to run these applications remotely using DHCP (i.e.,I need to get a static IP assigned to me)?

Tom-

Thanks but I finally figured it out! The server where the two accounting programs reside is multihomed (one token ring card segment 192.168.3.0 and one ethernet card segement 192.168.2.0). The Pervasive client was looking only to the ethernet card's IP for the Target Engine because our NetScreen appliance is on the ethernet segment and the VPN Tunnel was set up to point there. However, the Target Engine was actually being associated with the token card's IP only(probably because token ring was the only segment present when Pervasive was installed a couple years ago). I changed the VPN to point to 192.168.0.0 so that it looked to both segments and it now works fine. So it was a quirky connection problem and NOT a static vs dynamic IP problem. Whew!!!

Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back