Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Persuing a CCIE 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lgp9999

Technical User
Oct 13, 2005
US
I have thought off and on over the last several years that I would like to persue a CCIE in the future. Well, the future is now and I would like to actually do something rather than just talk about it. Are there any particular steps that you would reccomend that I take? Would it be best if I got my CCNA and/or CCNP first? Any other reccomendations?

Get a cisco press book ccna read it from back to back and get some hands on router and switch experience or use semsim or netsim boson. After going through the these you'd have a pretty good idea what trying to go for the ccie would be.

I think I'd read more than just the CCNA book before thinking I could make a decision on jumping into the CCIE.

I'd also look at the blueprint for the CCIE and then compare it to the test objectives for the CCNA and CCNP tests.

lgp9999,

Saying that you want to be a CCIE is like saying that you want to be a heart doctor - it will take lots of education, lots of work and lots of hands on experience and at least 3-5 years of study!

People who are CCNAs and CCNPs with tons of years of working with routers and switches take the CCIE exam everyday - and fail it about 75-80% of the time - it is a very hard exam!!

I have even read at the Cisco site that they suggest that you have at least 5 years hands on experience before attempting the CCIE.

As lerdalt posted - get several CCNA books and check out the Cisco site at - check out the info they have on certifications and start down that path.

Good luck and hope to see you around this forum!

E.A. Broda
CCNA, CCDA, CCAI, Network +

I appreciate all the responses. I know it's not going to be easy, and it's a long term goal, but I believe that I am able. I will be buying books and Cisco hardware to get familiar and study as suggested. Thanks again everyone.

Ya CCIE is a huge deal..you just can't make it a "goal" in the true sense of the word. It depends a lot on your current experience level.

It's more than just a goal, it's a long-term commitment that needs serious consideration.

Your goal shouldn't be getting your CCIE.

Your goal should be getting your CCNA..THEN possibly your goal will be your CCNP...then...maybe your CCIE written...then lab. PLUS, by the time you even get to the point of taking your CCIE written and/or lab, there will be a lot of new technology on the exam you will have to study for on top of everything else.

Plan accordingly.

-E

lgp9999,

Believing is the very first of a long trek of steps that evetually get you there... :)

2 years ago I didn't even have an A+, today I'm A+, N+, MCP, MCSA 2003 certified, finishing my CCNA/CCNP.

If you know you are able, then you are. Thats all that matters.

Everything else is dust in the wind.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back