Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Personalised Logon screens...How?

Status
Not open for further replies.

guestgulkan

Technical User
Sep 8, 2002
GB
For example at my local library internet cafe - the usual windows (xp) logon screen has been replaced with the library's
own version.
What windows API function(s) allow you to do this?

Or you can build your own logon application and then rename explorer.exe to logonsucess.exe, then you place your own logon application instead of explorer.exe
Startup logonsucess.exe when the user has suceed logon in your application.
Make sure to disable CTRL+ALT+DEL in your logon application.

(you may need to rename your application to templogon.exe, place it in system dir, open a dos window (cmd.exe or command.exe), then exit explorer.exe via task manager, then in the dos window browse to the system32 dir, and then "ren explorer.exe logonsucess.exe". after that, "ren templogon.exe explorer.exe", then you are set! your logon application will load instead of explorer.exe)

Then you use autologon on the standard logon.

Make sure to disable CTRL+ALT+DEL in your logon application.

Easier said than done, I think

Take Care

Matt
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Easier said than done, I think

Worse; there's no way you can disable CTRL+ALT+DEL from within your application....

Greetings,
Rick

search for winlock on
Download the "demo" application, you will find an DLL in the zip file. Pack this DLL along with your application.

In the demo application, you will find instructions on how to call specific methods to the DLL.

Some methods are about disabling CTRL+ALT+DEL and task manager.

Well, there you have it; there's no way you can do it from within your application.

I have to admit though that subclassing the SAS window technique is new for me (and very promessing). You'll need an external library (as the one supplied) for that though; your VB app itself can't do the trick for you there.....

Greetings,
Rick

LazyMe.

Worse; there's no way you can disable CTRL+ALT+DEL from within your application....

Funny you would say that, I have an application that does just that...You should have told me, here I was thinking it was working properly all along. Who ever told you that is wrong.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.
ReFox XI (www.mcrgsoftware.com)

It depends on which OS you're targeting. On Win98, you can prevent the CAD sequence. But on the NT/2K/XP family, this is not possible without writing your own GINA dll.

If you should decide to write your own GINA, I strongly suggest you do this inside a Virtual PC session with undo disks turned on. This will save you much heartache when you crash the OS due to a bug in your program.

Chip H.

Chip H.

But on the NT/2K/XP family, this is not possible without writing your own GINA dll.

You may want to insvestigate that statement. If you disable the task manager (without the use of a GINA), you effectively disabled the ctrl+alt+del sequence.

Mike Gagnon

If you want to get the best response to a question, please check out FAQ184-2483 first.

I'd be a little pissed if a program disabled my Task Manager... ;)

You mean through a group policy, or such?

What about the Ctrl+Shift+Esc keyboard shortcut?

Chip H.

>If you disable the task manager (without the use of a GINA), you effectively disabled the ctrl+alt+del sequence

Not at all. It only has this apparant effect on (XP)machines that are not a member of a domain (and even then it depends on a simple config setting)... On servers (NT4 , 2000, 2003) it results in the security dialog, whether the task manager is disabled or not

I'd be a little pissed if a program disabled my Task Manager... ;)

I did an application recently for a computer that was meant to sit in the middle of a MALL that listed a job bank in the local area, and preventing the task manager to pop-up was one of the requirements.

Mike Gagnon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back