Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

personal.xlsb not opening from xlstart in Excel 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

PWD

Technical User
Jul 12, 2002
GB
Good afternoon, last week my personal.xlsb stopped opening when I fired up Excel (2010). I manually opened it & saved it as PERSONAL.xlsm but I can't record macros to 'personal' as it's the wrong file. Any idea how I can get my personal.xlsb opening up again. It's a corporate laptop so I can't do any un-installing.

Many thanks,
D€$

Have you tried xlsa?

I don't need Google, my family knows everything

Hi. How do you mean?

Many thanks,
D€$

Change the extension to xlsa and see if that works.

I don't need Google, my family knows everything

I wondered if that's what you meant, but I tried that and it appears to be an unrecognised extension. I think what I may have to try is copying out ALL the modules of code and recreating a 'new' Personal that works.

Many thanks,
D€$

If you rename your Personals as something else, and then do Macro Record to Personal, that should create a Personal that you can copy all the modules to.

Cheers, Glenn.

Beauty is in the eye of the beerholder.

Hi Glenn, That's the sort of thing I had in mind. I'll post back the results.

Many thanks,
D€$

Well, I created a new workbok, "Personal.xlsm", & copied over all my macros & that was working just fine until this morning when Excel crashed when trying to open a network file & then I agreed to disable the 'Personal Add-in', or something like that. I don't know how to reverse that decision. So that was that :( Fortunately my code saves a copy called "MyPersonal.xlsm" to my network drive so I have been able to put that in my "C:\......\XLSTART" folder. I've now tried to record a macro to "Personal Macro Workbook", as you do, but get the error messages, "Personal Macro Workbook in the startup folder must stay open for recording." Followed by, "Unable to record." "PERSONAL.xlsb" is still in my "C:\......\XLSTART" folder, as it was when I started this thread, but neither it, nor my "PERSONAL.xlsm" open when Excel starts. Ah, right. I've just moved them both out to an 'Old' folder & I can now create a macro & unhide "PERSONAL.xlsb". I guess it was a question of removing the unresponsive workbooks. Nah, "PERSONAL.xlsb" doesn't open when I start Excel. Pile of poo!! Oh well, I'll just stick with what I've got as "MyPersonal.xlsm" opens up just fine - Unless I can find out how to re-enable the 'Personal Add-in'.

Many thanks,
D€$

I am experiencing the same problem on a company laptop. Let me share my observations.
it as PERSONAL.xlsm but I can't record macros to 'personal' as it's the wrong file.
First, if you have a workbook open an you need to open your personal workbook manually, make sure that you open it IN THE SAME INSTANCE as your working document. Otherwise, you will not see your personal macros or be able to record to the personal.

You can have multiple instances of Excel and have your personal open in more than one instance as read-only. But in order to SAVE stuff to personal, it must be the initially opened personal (read-write)

Your personal should be stored in the XLSTART folder. Do a SEARCH to find the path(s). In my case, with my personal.xlsb in either XLSTART folder (I have 2) my personal never opens. So I ended up storing my personla.xlsb on my desktop and manually opening when needed. It's annoying, but useable.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my old subtlety...
for a NUANCE![tongue][/sub]

You don't want to change the extension of the file to "xlsa". It is not a valid file extension. If you have your Folder options to show file extensions (folder - Alt, Tools, Options, View tab), you will be able to see a renamed file of "Book.xlsb" to "Book.xlsa" will in fact be "Book.xlsa.xlsx". So you're basically making it a standard Excel file.

Check your disabled items (File, Options, Add-ins, {drop down} Disabled Items, Go).

Regards,
Zack Barresse

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. What is a MS MVP?
- Leonardo da Vinci

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back