Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Personal Web Manager

Status
Not open for further replies.

richvalve

Programmer
Mar 2, 2001
GB
Can anyone help?

It's probably simple, but when I open PWM (after installing IIS) I can't open my homepage ie

Can anyone help? I belive the name of the computer is all correct

Thanks

Try using that should get you there (hopefully).

Gilbert M. Vanegas
Programmer Analyst III
County of San Bernardino - ISD
Email : gvanegas@isd.sbcounty.gov

richvalve:

If you keep having problems with "yourcomputer" or "localhost", then you probably need to modify your HOSTS file (probably located in some subdirectory to windows\system32 ) - simply add a line saying

127.0.0.1 localhost

In this file, you can add other similar entries - probably also defining "yourcomputer" if it has a static IP number.

Note that URL hostnames in general are only resolved (=interpreted and translated to an IP number) if the Domain Name Server (DNS) that the browser computer is connected to actually has access to this information!

Thus, would not necessarily be contained in the DNS's database - especially not if it is recently created or hosted on some small ISP) - and thus typing in this data in the browser could well result in a "site not found" error - whereas typing in would work...

DrMaggie ---------
"Those who don't know the mistakes of the past won't be able to enjoy it when they make them again in the future."
— Leonard McCoy, MD (in Diane Duane's Doctor's Orders)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back