Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Persistent ISDN Connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

trojan2003

IS-IT--Management
Aug 16, 2003
SG
My remote office is using a Cisco 2610 router and a 128kbps ISDN connection.

I would like to know how to configure the router such that it will persistently dialup to the ISP. Currently the router does not dial out immediately if the line is drop. Only after performing a ping from the router will bring up the connection.

Current Configuration

interface BRI0/0
ip address negotiated
ip directed-broadcast
ip nat outside
encapsulation ppp
keepalive 32767
dialer idle-timeout 2147483
dialer string 96591
dialer hold-queue 10
dialer-group 1
isdn switch-type basic-net3
no cdp enable
ppp authentication pap callin
ppp pap sent-username xxxxxxx password 7 xxxxxxxxx
ppp multilink

gaveeve is trying to figure out what you have set as interesting traffic. Good call.

This is what i have in my config.

dialer-list 1 protocol ip permit

huh..that should allow everything as interesting traffic. If at all possible could you post the whole config, because I am missing something, unless gaveeve sees something that I am missing.

trojan2003,
You could try the "dialer persistent" command. It forces a dialer interface to be connected at all times, even in the absence of interesting traffic. This feature appears to be introduced in 12.2(4)T, you'll have to check your IOS level to see if its supported. Here is a lcisco ink which may be useful:
JimmyZ

Thanks jimmyzz for the link. Getting my regional office IT to check with their vendors. Thanks to all those that responded.

Cheers.

How come keepalive setting is way 2 high? I would configure "no keepalive" if you don't need it.

cheers,

hi rcasta, the router was configured by the vendor. If i set the "no keepalive", will that force the dialer to dial when the line was drop?

What I understand from the vendor was that it will keep the ISDN connection alive and will not timeout and disconnect.

The setup of this network is such that there is no consistent traffic coming in or going out.

hi ,
I think if the

1. keepalive should be reduced to minimum (even below the default 10 secs)

2. and the dialer idle timeout should also be kept to minimum because if the link goes down the router waits for the idle timeout value to expire before it dials again .

Thanks
Sameer

Is it not going to cost you a fortune keeping an ISDN line up all the time?

Andy Leates MCSE CCNA MCP+I

Trojan,
would you post the full config of your Router as it seems I have posted a Thread looking how do do this myself? It would be much appreciated. In relation to ISDN charges all I know that in Ireland they can be quite high.
Thanks
Paul

Paul Kilcoyne B eng. CCNA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back