Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

sideswipe

Technical User
Oct 2, 2000
GB
Hi
i have a small w2k pro peer to peer network with an access database back end on one of the pcs. obviously it is a shared folder. the problem is that the users can go into my network places, go to the computer holding the database and delete the contents of the shared folder i.e the database backend. i suppose what i'm asking is how can i stop people deleting my shared file. they cant delete the folder, only the file. I've considered hiding it but anyone wanting to delete it badly enough and knows what theyre doing will still be able to delete it.
i know about special permissions and its let me set them on resources such as printers but i cant seem to do it on folders/files.
Any help much appreciated.
Dan

You could always set permissions based on the user, instead of the file. For instance, you could give one user full access, while giving everyone else only read-permission.
This type of restriction can be found under the Users and Passwords panel inside the Control Panel.

Doc

Sir, This is a setting set when 1st applying folder as a share. Should you want to make the change that the read-only attribute apply to both subfolders and files after a share has been created
1.) Enter properties for folder.
2.) Unset Read-only attrib.
3.) Set read-only attrib.
4.) Pop up window will appear --> Select "Apply this change to this folder, subfolder, and files"
5.) Do the dance of joy. (very important!!!)

Have fun! & a nice day! -md

thanks for your help. the problem was that i hadnt converted my file system to ntfs. i've done that now but i'm still struggling a bit. ive managed to enable people to read and amend the file/folder but not delete it (it took me about 12 hours to work it out) but when i save it it creates temp files all the time. should it be doin this.
regards
dan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back