Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

simon373

Programmer
Oct 25, 2006
Hi,

I have installed an XP Pro desktop onto a 2003 server domain as a power user. With certain applications (Autocad 2000 and Brother fax address book), I am not given write access to the program. Also, from time to time my mapped network drives take a long time to open and sometimes cause the computer to lock up. No other computer within the power users domain has these problems. Am I missing something obvious?

Many thanks

Simon.

Check you Access Permissions for the programs concerned. Also check your access for things like .dat, .log or .ini, or other folders related to these programs but which may be in other parts (folders) of Windows.

XP slow network read and file list solution
thread779-1320872

Mapped drive - slow response at first
thread779-1263393

XP slow displaying network drives
thread779-977069

Mapped Drive takes forever to open in XP!
thread779-935638

Many thanks for the suggestions. I now have some more information about what may be causing the occasionally long wait time.

In the event log on Server 2003 there is an error message that keeps occuring. It says that netlogon was unable to authenticate the computer in question. I looked in client PC management and the PC with the problem does not show in the list. Yet the user is shown in user management. Do you think that this could be the cause of these intermittent network failures - and if so do I need to add the computer to client computers?

Regards

Simon

What is the exact Event ID error number and Source?

Take it to this site and check it out.

Does the The client’s event log also contains NETLOGON error events?

"do I need to add the computer to client computers", sounds like a good idea to try (to me) but I'm not a Domain person, so someone else can answer that.

Maybe here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back