Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

ndltx5

Technical User
Jun 6, 2007
US
Is it possible to give permission based on an individual record.

Eample: I have two users userA and userB and i only want userA to be able to edit userA records and userB to only be able to edit userB records all in the same table.

Or even better can i disable certain box's of a form depending on which user opens the form?

thanks

User/group security is only down to the table level.

To do what you want would take VBA coding. For a record, you would need to add a field like "UserName" and populate it with the current user when the record is inserted. Then on the form you would need to write the VBA code that allow/restricts actions based on who created the record and who is the current user.

Your second wish, to enable/disable controls, is more common performed based on which groups the user belongs to. This makes it much more flexible - i.e. if you add a new user you only need to put him into the proper group.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back