Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevenriz

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2001
What the #%#$ am I doing wrong? This happens over and over and over and constantly frustrates me. Simple. I create a "share" on a folder in the file system. I give a group of certain users permissions on that folder. Everything is fine. Then one day we decide to add users to the group that already has permissions OR we simply add a single user to the permissions list. NOTHING HAPPENS. They DO NOT inherit the permissions like you would think they would. Am I doing something wrong?
Thanks,
Former Netware Junkie (where when you set a permission, it works like you would think it would)

Do you have the permissions set on both the Share and the Directory?

Thanks for the input. What I do is right click on the c:\ drive folder and select Share. Then I create a share and the little hand appears on the folder. Then I right click on it again and select Share again, then click permissions and proceed to add users and/or predefined groups and select their level of access. Usually Full Access in this particular case. I must be missing a step but it seems so obvious that I don't think I am.

When you right click on the shared directory, make sure to set the permissions in the share, and then also set them on the Security Tab - permissions

I will try that but is this the true way to do this? I mean this is essentially performing this twice ifyou know what I mean. I wil try and report back.
Thank you!!

Actually it's not repeating the same thing. Share permissions, and directory permissions are two different animals. I just dealt with this problem recently.

OK, I have both premissions set the way I think they should be and I STILL get access denied on simply browsing the directory. I am still working on it. I don't know what else to do.

For proper security you should be using NTFS on your hard drive. The file system permissions should be set for "everyone" or "Domain Users" to have more permissions than they need at the share level. Usually this is "Full Control". This is only a security risk if people besides your admins are permitted to log on locally. When you create the share, set it's permissions to the level you want your users to have.

Check to make sure these users aren't in a group that is being specifically denied access.

Remember that once given permissions to that share, those permissions will be inheritted in all lower level subfolders within.

Yes this makes total sense but it just doesn't seem to work for me. For instance. We have a group set up called Color Printer Access and assigned this group to the share that is created on the color printer. I wanted to add a user to the Color Printer Access share so they would have access to it. I added the user to the share. Whalla!! It didn't work. I waited a few minutes to see if it is a queued process. Whala! it didn't work. I removed the user from the group and added the user to the Color Printer Access share itself. No deal. BUT when I initially set up the Color Printer Access group, it worked the first time. The more I try things, the more I DON'T get how MS does things.

Hi,

The problem is that if you have made the share and the NTFS permissions the same then changing the share permissions wont matter, as the NTFS permissions use the most restrictive.

What you need to do is set the share permissions to Everyone Full Control, then set the NTFS permissions to add only the users/groups that you want to have access.

If you follow this practise all the time, it will make your permissions work alot better.

HTH's... mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

This makes sense. Just tell me where the NTFS permissions are. Is that the Security tab?

Thanks.

Yes,

The Share permissions are under the Share tab and the NTFS permissions are under the Security tab.

HTH's... mot98..[peace]

"Where's the beer?"

Stevenriz,

What you also need to do is:

Right click on the share (c:\folder name), then click on the "Security" tab. Then click on the "Permissions" tab. Where it displays "Replace permissions on directories", checkmark this, then click ok and ok to message. What this will do is replace all permissions to include newly added permissions. Try this function to see if you can access and let me know how you make out.

Zoe

OK Thanks! I will try that too and let you know.
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back