Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions When Copying a Folder

Status
Not open for further replies.

superco7

Technical User
Dec 20, 2002
US
Is it possible to retain permissions on a folder when you copy it to another directory (drive) or do you have to reset them all. I have played around with it and it seems that you have to reset all the permissions when you copy the folder to the new directory. Was hoping there would be a way around this. If anyone knows of one could you please help me out, I would really appreciate it and it would save me a lot of time and frustration. Thanks.

If you cut and paste it will save the permissions. But, then you dont have it on the original drive. If you really want the permissions to stay the same and have it available on other drives why no make it a share and set the permissions you want for it.

I am sorry I should have made statement a little clearer. The reason that I want to cut and paste it is because I am reorganizing some of the files and folders on our servers and need to free up space on one drive that holds many cad files (space is getting limited), so I would like to move a folder from that drive to another, and if possible not lose the permissions. I am not sure if that changes anything.

Moving the folder instead of cutting and pasting should do it. Drag the folder using the right mouse button and when you drop the folder in the directory you need you'll get an option to 'move here' - this should copy all the permissions associated as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back