Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

shannanl

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
US
I just set up a VPN which is working fine. I can connect to my work and ping all the servers, etc. I can't browse anything except my own personal computer even though I am part of the domain admin group. I am sure I am having permission problems. Where do I set the permissions so that I can see all the servers, etc?

Thanks,

Shannan

What are you using for vpn? Are you connecting to a windows box or are you using a vpn to a firewall.

Its a sonicwall firewall (Pro_100) with VPN.

Shannan

When you make the connection with your vpn client does it provide windows logon, or are you just signing on to the firewall box.

Shannon,
SonicWall VPN can be either a group VPN or single VPN connections. Which are you using?

IS your VPN connection to the firewall (and is it doing NAT?), or are you connecting to another system in the LAN?

If your VPN is to the firewall, once the connection is up the NAT should work and you should be able to see the entire network just like being connected locally, as the VPN connection should put you on the LAN side of the firewall, even with NAT. Browsing, however, is another issue!

I would suggest, especially if you do have NAT in place, that you set up a hosts file on the external system with the internal NAT addresses and names for all the internal systems, or at least for the WINS server and the internal DNS servers so name resolution can be accomplished.

Typically, if you can not browse it is because your system can not resolve the names to internal addresses, ie.e, a DNS or WINS issues, as NATTED server addresses can not be resolved from the outside unless you can redirect the request to the internal DNS or WINS server.

HTH,

David

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back