Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions problem with ICQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbalazs

IS-IT--Management
Dec 18, 2000
GB
I installed ICQ as Administrator. It runs fine when I'm logged on as Administrator. When I'm logged on as a Power User, I get a VB Runtime Error and the program quits. ICQ and all subfolders have Power User permissions but something needed by the program seems to have Admin permissions set.

Does anyone know what it might be or how I can find out?

Thanks,
Tony.

tbalazs, ICQ is probably looking for a file in the \WINNT\system32 subdirectory. Power Users do not have automatic access to this. If you feel comfortable with the user's security issues, you may give user rights to system32. This should fix your problem. If there is another file needed, you may uses auditing to find the exact file used.

Best of Luck. Please post if it helped. -md

Hi md - thanks for the suggestion to change the permissions. I tried but it hasn't worked. I actually made a mistake in my original post: the runtime error is VC++ not VB but I don't think that affects your suggestions.
How would I do the auditing?
Thanks again,
Tony.

Just a suggestion,
Try uninstalling it, then installing it as the power user,Giving the appropriate permissions to the power user, and then just edit the permissions for the program as you see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back