Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

permissions or directory of launcher.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjnaaktgeboren

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
US
I tried moving the location of the launcher.txt file from /opt/mercator to /opt/mercator/trace/launcher/launcher.txt in the mercator.ini file. This resulted in a crash. The file is generated with permissions 666. My umask is for 770. any file i create gens as 660. Anyone have any idea why this would need to be in the /opt/mercator directory, or how to get the fiel generated with 660? The event server software loses connectivity with mercator when this is moved as well. I can't find anything in the crash logs nor any map failures relating to this.
Thanks!
Marty

What is the exect line in the mercator.ini file? What version of Mercator? Are you the same user as run the Event Server?

BocaBurger
<===========================||////////////////|0
The pen is mightier than the sword, but the sword hurts more!

mercator.ini:LauncherLog=ewsc=launcher.txt
Merc 6.7.1 on HP-UX B.11.11
Yes, same user for the eventserver.

=launcher.txt" should put the launcher.txt file in the main install directory, how did you "moving the location of the launcher.txt file from /opt/mercator to /opt/mercator/trace/launcher/launcher.txt in the mercator.ini file" ?

BocaBurger

mercator.ini:LauncherLog=ewsc=/var/mercstuff/traces/launcher.txt

I simply fully qualified the path in the mercator.ini file.

If you have permissions to write to that directory, there should be no problem. I do this all the time. I redirect the launcher.txt to the /logs directory, so I have all the files I need for debugging in one location.

BocaBurger

This does work in our test environment, but causes crashes in our production environment. It has been stable in test for a couple of weeks, but not at all in production. I can't find any maps or "check scripts" reading it, but I suspect that may be a majority of the problem.

Sounds more like an environment / setup issue. Contact Ascential Support for DS TX and request the latest version of the UI script to run in both test and production to get the differences in an easy to compare set of files.

Also a good idea to keep the results around for future issues to see if someone changed something in the environment and didn't tell you.

J.

BocaBurger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back