Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions: Linux Workstation + Windows Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamiejamie

Technical User
May 16, 2005
US
I have a share on a Windows server. On my Windows workstation, if I login as "jamie" and I go to the share via UNC path, "\\server\folder", I am able to to create a folder. However, if I log in under any other Windows workstation accounts, I am unable to create a folder.

With my Linux workstation, I can get to the same path "smb://server/folder", but I cannot create a folder. How can I create a folder on the Windows server using Linux as my workstation?

Thanks in advance!

Jamie Aaron

This sounds like a permissions problem to me. I would guess that you need to look at the permissions on the server.
I think this is more of a windoze issue than a linux issue.

Trojan.

If I can do it with a Windows Workstation, I should be able to do it with a Linux Workstation.

What I want to know is how I can connect to the server without making modifications to the server itself.

Any ideas?

Jamie Aaron

When you're at the linux workstation & access the windows share, do you get prompted for authentication creditials? Is this a domain based network or workgroup? How is authentication of user credentials controlled?

smah, thank you for asking. It's a workgroup called macnet. I can see the folders and files on the Windows Server, but I can't create a folder or anything else on the server from my Linux workstation.

It does not prompt me for username/password.

My guess is that "everyone" has read-only access, and account "jamie" has read/write access.

How do I tell the Windows server that I'm "jamie" from my Linux workstation?

Jamie Aaron

If you are using smbmount or mount.cifs then you pass the username and password to login as.

From a command line see if you can connect with smbclient //machine name/share name -U username. In this case use Jaime as your login name since this is the only one that works from windoze machines. You will be prompted for a password. If you are able to connect you can use mkdir to make your directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back