Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions error? but not!?!? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Echoe

Technical User
Dec 15, 2003
US
I have three computers running on a home network, all plugged into 1 hub. A laptop and desktop running XP Home, as well as a desktop running XP Pro. The two XP Home computers can see each other and transfer files. However, the XP Pro system is left out in the dark. When it tries to access the workgroup, "MSHOME", it recieves the message "Mshome is not accessable. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions." I cannot even get into the workgroup to see the other computers. The two XP Home systems can get in and access each other, but recieve a message similar to that above when attempting to access the XP Pro system.

I never set up any restriction, and cannot find any to undo. Why cannot I not access the other two computers?!? This is driving me nuts!

I tried pinging both of the XP Home systems from the XP Pro system and both responded, althought it took slightly longer for the laptop to respond. What is going on?!?

Thanks for your help!
~Jeff~

Right-click the tray icon for your network/internet connection on the XP box.

Left click Properties, View Network Connections.

Right click the "Local Area Connection" item, left click Properties, highlight "Internet Connection Protocol (TCP/IP), and click the Properties button.

Click "Advanced" at lower right. Click on the WINS tab, and then click the radio button to "enable Netbios over TCP/IP"

Apply all changes. Reboot. Test again.

Thatnks for your quick and coherent repl! I change the settings you recommended, but it did not change anything from the XP Pro side. I have not checked whether I can access this computer from the XP Home ones, but would assume not. Any other ideas I might be able to try?

A permission denied error is due to either:

. Workgroup naming issues under System, Properties, Computer Name

The setting is case sensitive. Use only UPPER CASE with no spaces or special characters for a Workgroup name. Make all of the case sensitive Workgroup names identical;

. Do not name the Computer Name the same as a User Name;

. No blank or empty passwords for any user

. Something: drive, Folder, Printer, but something shared by all machines in a Workgroup;

Some references:

Man... I don't know why it made that big of a difference, but I changed my computer name from "jeff" to "JEFF" and it works now. Thanks for your speedy help!

The Netbios naming requirements are poorly documented, and certainly not made explicit.

Nor is there sometimes case sensitivity; often there is not and sometimes there is.

I just create Workgroups with the following rules:

. All UPPERCASE without spaces or special characters for the Workgroup name;
. The Computer "Name" is never the same name as a user of the computer;
. All computers in a Workgroup have the same Workgroup name, (case sensitive);
. Under the Advanced button of TCP/IP Properties, WINS tab, explicitly enable Netbios over TCP/IP and do not use the default settings;
. Start button, Run, CMD
Type: ipconfig /all

Check the "Node Type". If it says "Peer-to-Peer", it will not work. Make the registry node change.

Open notepad and copy/paste the below. Save as node_fix.reg :

**** start copy/paste below this line
REGEDIT4

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\NodeType]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Netbt\Parameters\DhcpNodeType]

****** end copy/paste above this line

Windows networking is fairly robust, but it will have issues with what appear as small problems. Glad you got the issue sorted.

Best wishes,
Bill Castner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back