Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions and Security

Status
Not open for further replies.

benzguy777

Vendor
Sep 17, 2002

What I have:

Win2K Server OS SP2, NTFS FS, Administrator rights:

What I want to achieve:

What I want is for my PRODUCTION to save/copy files to a FOLDER w/ set permissions and when they copy/save to this folder they cannot anymore Copy/Delete the files they just out it. Only administrators can COPY/DELETE.

Another explanation:

I have production staff that can/should only save/copy into "production" folder.

The purpose here is that when they finish their work and save/copy the files into this "production" folder THEY CANNOT anymore delete/copy out/overwrite the files they just saved/copied.

I do this so when work is done they cannot anymore alter, delete, the files.

I have tried so many combinations in PERMISSION, SECURITY and ADVANCED under SECURITY.

Basically if there is a right combination to check ALLOW/DENY in all these three (Persmission, Security & advanced security) tabs.

I was successful in NO DELETE and NO RENAME only COPY files into "production" folder but you could also copy the same file out, delete the contents and overwrite the same file in the "production" folder so this cannot work for me. Once you put the file in, you should NOT be able to COPY/RENAME AND DELETE it.

Hope someone can help and give step-by-step instructions.

Francis

hi ,
if i understand right then you can give them only write permission ( no read ) then they can drag & drop files in that directory but they can't access it and give administrators full controle. Eran
erans@convergys.co.il

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back