Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permissions and NTFS File System Rights 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomecole

Technical User
Jun 9, 2000
US
I have a (fairly) new Windows 2000 server installation which is now driving me nuts. Both my users and I am experiencing the same problem.
Various folders return an "Access Denied" error when I try to open them. Some other folders open but trying to open the files contained therein results in the same "Access Denied" error. Yet other folders act normally... the people with access can access 'em and the others can't.
I am logged in properly as the administrator. This happens from either the server or from a workstation.
I have changed the permissions settings and the NTFS file system settings to allow the "Everyone Group", the "Administrators Group" and the Administrator(me) specific full control all the way down to the file level. I still can't open the folders and/or files.
I am pretty sure I've done nothing wrong. This is not the only Win2K server I have running and none of the others are experiencing these problems.
I have up-to-the-minute virus signature files on the server and the related workstations, and have from day 1.

Any suggestions would be appreciated ! Thanx in advance !

tcole@collinsdata.com

sounds like your have deny access somewhere up the food chain follow the path up untill u get an error and then check the special permission tab to see if u have anything odd maybe its has deny access to a certain group that your a part of. remmember deny is deny no matter what. Thanks, PAUL

Also check "up the food change" and see if you have a folder where it's checked "Allow inheritable permissions to propagate to this object." This allows permissions to be set at a higher level. By default I always uncheck this, and set the security locally on the folder itself. I set up a home directory, share this with everyone and then set the security up in the subfolders. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com
"Don't take a fence down until you know why it was put up".
Robert Frost (1874 - 1963); U.S. poet.

Well, the "Food Chain" doesn't run too deep. I have a drive partition, shared as "data". These unaccessable folders are in the root of that partition. I did check to make sure there wasn't a "deny" anywhere... there isn't. I did get around the problem today by taking onwership of each stinkin' folder, one at a time, but that just got around the problem, it didn't really solve it. One thing I DID note however... Each time I took ownership, the ownership box showed " The current owner could not be displayed". Was this normal, because of the rights issue, or was it an indication of an error ?

Thanks !

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back