Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

permissions and access to program

Status
Not open for further replies.

scoobydoo26

IS-IT--Management
Jun 14, 2001
US
I've installed quickbooks on a 2000 pro station as the administrator. When i try running the program as a user logged into the network it says the user account was created with restricted access to system resources.

I can access the program as the same user logged in locally (with apparently the same security rights to the C:\) but not the domain. I added the domain user with full access to C:\ on the desktop but i still get the message.

Any assistance greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Im not sure if you already tried this, but alot of issues I have run into with permissions and applications were fixed when you make the user a "power user" on their desktop. Also try adding that user to the security on the program (Quickbooks) that isnt working.

What I have been doing with most of my desktops is this. WE make the user either a "power user" or "administrator" on their *desktop only*. Then set the permissions on the program in question so that the security allows the EVERYONE profile to have modify/read/write/run access.

Hope that helps.

Matt

Matt thanks for the post. Just got back from vacation and saw your post. I actually solved it that afternoon. What i ended up doing was using secedit to modify the rights of the networked user (ran secedit when logged in as a domain admin). I had added the user locally to the power users group and it would work when logged on locally but not on the network. What i didn't try was give the everyone group the rights you mention on the program directory. I'm guessing from your post that would have solved it also.

You can also go to users and groups on the pc, select the group admin, and give rites to domainname/username. Glen A. Johnson
Microsoft Certified Professional
gjohn76351@msn.com

"The definition of the individual was: a multitude of one million divided by one million."
Arthur Koestler (1905-83); Hungarian-born British author.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back