Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission to access a directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitera6911

IS-IT--Management
May 7, 2004
US
I no longer have a network administrator, and until I find one, I'm trying to keep things running here.

I have a user that needs permission to a network share. I've added the file permissions to the users properties in Active Directory I've even added the user to the file shares properties.

When I map the drive, it maps it ok, but then tells me the "'drive' is not accessible, Access is denied".

What am I missing?

Tanks!

What level of access are you giving?
Make sure the share permissions are set to at least as high as the security permissions.

Well, let's see if I understand you correctly. Under the shared director's properties there is a Share tab and a Security tab. The Permissions button under the Share tab has 'everyone' listed and all allows are checked. On the security tab the group is listed with all allows checked. I've assigned the group to the user and even the user to the group. I have a couple other people accessing this share just fine.

Thanks.

Yes, you are checking the appropriate areas.
Sometimes a full reboot is required (not at all sure why) for permissions to be accessible by a user from a workstation at which they are logged onto when the permission changes are made.
Give that a shot.

Nope that didn't work. What confuses me more is I created a test account and got that to work just fine. So I deleted the user account in question and copied the test account to the user. It wouldn't work then either.

Go figure...

Make sure that user isn't denied write access. Check this in the security tab and then advanced.

Also, if you are running Windows 2003 you can go to the advanced tab and find out what security is given to a user so it's easier to troubleshoot. Sounds to me like he isn't getting "list" access

Well, I was trying to do it through a group policy (windows 2000). I had all of the allows checked. Based on your comments (chambers) I then decided to try it by actually adding the user to the share permissions and that didn't work either. I gave him full control of the directory. Is there another setting that disallows him from connecting to this drive. I can connect him to the public drive.

Very confusing...

Check the permissions on the security tab for the file/folder in question. Look and see if anyone is specifically denied access to the file/folder. It's possible that the user is a member of a security group that is specifically denied access. In such cases, the denial takes precedence over the permission, even if the user is specifically granted access independent of the denied group.

Thanks everyone! I finally figured it out. The user account was in a folder that had a group policy keeping him from connecting to certain network resources, at least I think that is the case. I moved the account to another folder and everything worked fine. I just can't see in the folder properties where it was keeping him from connecting to this resource.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back