Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission Problem! Help on Security needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlitim

Programmer
Sep 2, 2000
GB
I have just been given an access database in 97 format. I want to convert it into 2000 and do some work on it. I have loaded it up on an old machine still running 97, but am having some problems getting hold of the forms are reports.

Whilst I can run the forms and reports, I am not allowed to use the design view, and cannot import them into a blank database, and hence cannot convert them into 2000 format. When I look at the permissions, I am logged on as admin with no password requirement, but the owner of the forms is stated as <unknown>. I am not allowed to choose &quot;Change Owner&quot; as I don't have the required permissions.

Strangely, I can import the queries into a blank database but cannot touch the forms or reports.

Does anybody know a way around this or why this is happening?

Check to see if their is a workgroup file that belongs with this database. If their is one, you will need to join the workgroup, type in a password, and then hopefully it will allow you to view/convert the database correctly.

thanks for that

I'll check with the guy who gave it to me if he has any related files.

I would imagine he needs to look for .mdw files on his local drive? Is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back