Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission denied when I create an .exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

WyoProgrammer

Technical User
May 13, 2005
US
As you can probably tell, I am not an experienced programmer but I have written several programs which I use for my own uses as well as one I use at work. I have experienced this same problem in both places. When I try to update my *.exe program by creating a new one, I keep getting the error that 'permission is denied'. At work I thought it was because someone else on the network was using the program but I made sure nobody had it running and it gave me the same error. Now tonight, I try to create a new *.exe for a different program and it gives me the same error. Any ideas what this is and how I stop it from happening? Any help would be appreciated.

Check task manager to make sure the exe isn't still open, maybe your program isn't unloading properly. You could create the exe with a different name, one that does not exist just to see that it is compiling fine.

Tom

I have already checked this out by saving as a compiling under a different name as well as in a different directory and both methods work fine. Does this mean that the program must still be open? Is there something other than 'End' that I should do to properly close the program (such as 'Unload'?). Thanks for responding to my dilemma.

There is a (large) school of thought that says you should NOT use the End statement at all. There have been many discussions on this forum - a quick search turned up thread222-1177337. You need to ensure that all external processes (Word, Excel, database connections etc) are closed and set to Nothing. Then just unload all the forms and the app is ended.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back