Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Permission denied moving messages exchange 5.5 outlook 2003 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

gosemer

MIS
Mar 12, 2002
US
We have 2500 users and some of them are having issues moving messages to pst files the error is Permission denied but if you keep trying the message will move you just need to move them one at a time and keep trying. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Are the PST files local to the computer they are running Outlook on, or are they located on network drives?

the pst files are local to the pc and located in the default location in the users profile

I am experiencing the same issue. We have pst's located both locally and on a samba network drive. If you move them individually then it will usually work. We often cannot copy calendars for the same reason. They will start copying then it seems to get to attachments within and fail with the error

"Unable to move or copy folders. Can't copy folder. A top-level can't be copied to one of its subfolders. Or, you may not have appropriate permissions for the folder. To check your permissions for the folder, right-click the folder, and then click Properties on the shortcut menu."

The clients I have seen this on thus far all seem to be using Outlook 2003. I still need to try updating the service pack to see if that helps but it seems that the problem has been occurring higher frequencies lately.

Most users had their original PST's created with Office 97, so I have verified the 2gb ANSI limits, ran scanpst.exe, and even created new Unicode pst files with no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

We had this problem. It was always with emails with attachments. If you have a virus scanner with an Exchange option installed then chances are the scanner is trying scan each email before it is moved. For PST files on local drives its the local scanner that's trying to scan them.

We normally don't have to move a large amount at one time so what we do when we need to move a lot at one time is disconnect from the Internet (disconnect our firewall from the ISP modem), disable the antivirus exchange option (we use eTrust InoculateIT) and local antivirus, and give everyone one or two hours to complete the moves. It may not be practical in your situation but its the only work around that we came up with. We run strictly on Exchange so there are no PST files.

Cheers.

You're welscome.

We use the exclusions list for the reqular (file based) antivirus that's on the server (it's a dedicated Exchange server - only Exchange and our spam filter run on it).

However, we found that it was the actual email message scanning that was causing the problem. The way our antivirus works is that if an incoming email is scanned when it first arrives and is opened before a virus signature update then all is fine. However, if the virus signature updates before you open it, or before you open it the next time, then the message is rescanned. You don't see the delay when the message first arrives because it is scanned before it reaches the inbox.

When you move a message it is "opened" even if you don't open it before you move it. It is that "opening" process that triggers the rescan, and is causing the move to time out.

Cheers.

By enabling the 'BackgroundScanning' key in the registry on the server the problem seems to have resolved itself. It took a few days to do the scanning. We used the default throttling setting. Thanks again for the posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back