Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl Install. Script error

Status
Not open for further replies.

TURNERMICH

Technical User
Apr 5, 2000
AU
I am running Windows 98 se
I accidently installed the zip dos ?? version of perl
and then realized i should install the .msi version

ActivePerl-5.8.4.810-MSWin32-x86 is the version i am installing.

The install goes right to the end and then gives a message

There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A script required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.

When i run any perl script it fails, and asks if you wish to save or download.

Sounds like the install did not link the .pl extension
Windows Installer Version 1.10.1029.1

Appreciate any ideas why i get this error

You can set up your own file associations,(Explorer, Tools, Oprions, File Types) but download ??, sounds like you need to configure your webserver to associate .pl extensions with perl.exe

What webserver are you using?

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ... smack the fecker

I am using personal web server.

I suspect the version of windows installer is wrong
ie i have v1 installed
Unable to unstall v1, so that i can install v2

I reccomend you to upgrade windows 98. probably that win version doesn't support msi packages..

Cheers

look at xitami webserver from imatix

look at the faq section here for setting up IIS, it should be fairly similar for PWS

--Paul

It's important in life to always strike a happy medium, so if you see someone with a crystal ball, and a smile on their face ... smack the fecker

Tried the whole thing on another computer which did not have installer v1 on it, ie . installed v2 only, and all worked ok.

Looks like this particular computer has a problem , due to v1 being accidently installed at some time.

Appreciate all the help offered, will also have a loom at xitami !

Thanks again.

loom away ...

--Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back