Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl Error, can anyone explain what this means?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nutthick

MIS
Jan 14, 2004
GB
I'm getting an error in my Apache log whenever I call specific a script. The script uses the following notation to fire off a bash script;
Code:
qx[SomeBashScript];
the error that keeps appearing is as follows
Code:
file mcoputils.cc: line 238 (static std::string Arts::MCOPUtils::mcopDirectory()): assertion failed: (home != 0)
Does anyone know what this means or how I can stop it? If it isn't doing any harm is there a way to filter it out of my log file, as it's filling it up.

Thanks

hi mbrooks

Surely that is just going to assign the string 'SomeBashScript.sh' to a variable called $script_out.

If there is another way to call a bash script, I'd be interested to know.

Thanks

Nutthick said:
Surely that is just going to assign the string 'SomeBashScript.sh' to a variable called $script_out.

For clarification, backticks execute system commands. If it had quotes or single quotes, then it would set $script_out to the string 'SomeBashScript.sh'

Code:
Backtick      `...`
Quotes        "..."
Single Quotes '...'

qx// and backticks do exactly the same thing. That won't make a difference to the OP's problem. I'm not sure what the problem actually *is* though.

My mistake, I thought they were single quotes.

Any ideas on the original post?

If you run the bash script on its own, do you still get the problem? If the unwanted output is being written to STDERR, one possibility is to run
Code:
qx{bashscript 2>/dev/null};
provided you are on *nix, but it will throw away any and all error messages, not just the one above.

Steve

[small]"Every program can be reduced by one instruction, and every program has at least one bug. Therefore, any program can be reduced to one instruction which doesn't work." (Object::perlDesignPatterns)[/small]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back