Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Perl connection to Oracle DB 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

titouss

Programmer
Jan 10, 2001
US
I need to use Oracle Database.
So, I downloaded Win32::ODBC BETA from Roth.net/perl/packages.
Then, I created directory \perl\lib\win32 for ODBC.PM file (it was no folder win32 in \perl\lib\)
But there are no any ODBC.pll files after installation of Win32::ODBC BETA package.
And instead of directory \perl\lib\auto\win\odbc (where I should copy .pll file),
I have similar \perl\site\lib\auto\win\odbc.

What should I do?

Good afternoon, titouss.... at least it is afternoon where I am....

I'm not sure why you need to use ODBC..... Perl can go straight to Oracle without the help of Windows and ODBC....

My humble opinion about how to approach this is noted in another thread, thread219-46110

'hope this helps....

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Thank you goBoating.
I already ordered that book, because I saw your answer in FAQs.
I tried the DBI and DBD modules and I got similar message from Perl: "One of the library files needed to run this application cannot be found at .../DynaLoader.pm line 200..."

titouss

titouss,
I'm sorry I may not be of much more help with this. The last time I participated in setting up a Perl installation to talk to Oracle, it was with a version of Perl 4 called oraperl which did not use the DBI/DBD modules (they did not exist, I don't think). I have, however, more recently, used the DBI/DBD approach with MySQL and Postgres with no problems.

Before I started chasing my tail, I would spend some significant time at symbolstone reading about this. Get a wider view of the landscape and then start pursuing the details.

and

Also, you will have a better chance of getting an effective answer if you give a little more information about the error. Things like.... did the DBI and DBD modules install and test OK? ........What version of Perl?.........What were you trying to do when you got the error?...... etc....

Good Luck

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Make sure the make and make test and make install all ran with no errors. The DBI and DBD are very easy to use. The error you're getting is because a DLL, some *.so file, is not installed where it should be. This could be because you did not do make install or because of other reasons. It's generally not too difficult of a thing to figure out, first, make sure you built and installed everything properly.

MWB As always, I hope that helped!

Disclaimer:
Beware: Studies have shown that research causes cancer in lab rats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back