Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

perl compiler for unix/win32

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aneusomy

Programmer
Jan 15, 2001
CA
Hi,
I've looked around, but does anyone know of any good, free perl compiler for either *nix or win32?
TIA,
Ben

All compilers for Perl are free....... If someone is trying to sell you one, they are breaking the law (unless they wrote the compiler themselve). I don't usually scold posters, but, you can't have done much looking around.

For UNIX,

For Win,

'hope this helps....

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

hi,
actually, should've been more specific with my question. i'm aware of the compilers from activestate and cpan - duh. i'm looking for something free to compile to executable exe. activestate sells the perlapp as part of their 'perl dev kit'. i guess i could opt for an educational license, but any opensource or freeware may be a better option for me.
any info is appreciated,
ben

from O'Reilly's Programming Perl, p. 336, a section on command line switches:
"-u
Causes perl to dump core after compiling your script. You can then take this core dump and turn it into an executable file by using the undump program (not supplied). This speeds startup at the expense of some disk space (which you can minimize by striping the executable). If you want to execute a portion of your script before dumping, use Perl's dump operator instead. Note: availabliity of undump is platform specific; it may not be available for a specific port of Perl."

Last i checked, the activestate perlapp was the closest thing. i've never been able to find another Win32 function to do the same. you might try checking around the net, though, for undump and win32 or the like.
good luck.
"If you think you're too small to make a difference, try spending a night in a closed tent with a mosquito."

There is a thing called perl2exe which you can download from

It will do exactly what you are asking. It is not free, but a very small fee.

Hope this helps,

-Vic vic cherubini
vikter@epicsoftware.com
====
Knows: Perl, HTML, JavScript, C/C++, PHP, Flash, Director
====

i think you can get a trial version of the perl dev kit from activestate. i think its a fully functional version that works for a few days. adam@aauser.com

Thanks all for the help;
I didn't think I could find anything free, so this confirms it. If anyone does come along something good, please let me (everyone?) know! I'll do the same.
Thanks
Ben

my apologies.....

keep the rudder amid ship and beware the odd typo

Hi goboating,
no worries. i'll try to be more specific next time.
ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back