Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PERL and Windows NT

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewcarter

Technical User
Aug 18, 2003
US
A lot of tutorials I'm reading on PERL is giving me instructions using a UNIX server. Is there one for Windows NT and that is simple and straight to the point?

Thanks,
Stephen

From my experience, using Active State's Active Perl, unless you use specific Unix perl functions, most of what you read/write is good on Windows as well.

The biggest difference is that on Windows, you hardly ever have to use the:
#!/usr/loca/bin/perl
as the first line if you're running IIS. :)

Here's an example site:

If you notice, he has his perl (and other scripts) that work on both platforms without any sort of modifications.

I very first learned to use Perl on Win32. I downloaded ActiveState's distribution and used "Sams Teach Yourself Perl in 21 days" as my guide. The book was written for the Unix platform, but there was very little I had to change to make the same examples work on Win32. Other than being written for Unix, I would say that Sams is the most simple and straight to the point book I have ever read on the subject. I have read several more books on Perl after reading Sams, including Oreilly's "Learning Perl on Win32", but none of them come close to teaching the language to a beginner as well as Sams - IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back