Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Periodical holo-cutouts in my WLAN

Status
Not open for further replies.

muratnokay

Technical User
Mar 22, 2006
TR
I've set up a small wireless network in a small area. A Datron wireless ADSL router to send Internet connection to four computers, one of which being a laptop. Desktops use D-Link PCI wireless adapters, while the laptop has a D-Link USB. The problem is: In this setting, all computers lose their wireless connection simultaneously in about every five minutes. Then I need to reconnect all the machines. The fact that I need to restore the connection every 5 minutes or so makes it tiresome, not to mention the file downloading problem. When I use a D-Link access point, this time it's 1 hours. Is there some way to have a PERMANENT connection which doesn't cut itself out periodically? I use 64-bit WEP security, might it be a factor? I need in dire help, thanks in advance.

There are a number of reasons why a wireless connection could drop off. For instance for 802.11b/g which uses 2.4GHz range, there could be interference from other RF emitting products like 2.4GHz cordless phones, bluetooth devices, microwave ovens or other WL networks. I would first try using different channels. Normally the default shared channels are 1, 6 & 11. Try using different channels and see if that makes any difference. I do not believe WEP is the issue since we are talking about disassociations which is normally associated with WLAN control messages which is not encrypted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back