Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

periodic error message 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bocaire

Technical User
Oct 16, 2005
I periodically get this error message, when I'm shutting down XP Pro

unknown software exception (0x0eedfade) occured in the application at location 0x7c82a5b

I Googled this, and see that others have also had it, but I'm unsure of what's causing it, or what, if anything, to do about it.

Normally, when it occurs, it just pauses the shutdown for a short period, then disappears.

Is this possibly related to cookies or the like. Should I delete the cookies files, or ??

Bocaire

It sounds like that a program is running in the back ground is not getting shut off. Turn it on and shut it down. If you do not get the problem it is a program you ran then close butit does not get shut off all the way.... If it does have the error it is one of your startup program. Use Msconfig to see which one.
RCT

I can readily check to see what's running before I shut down. I use WinPatrol, and like msconfig, stuff that is running will show. But stuff running in the background, like all the stuff in my Startup folder, doesn't necessarily make its presence known in a list of "running" items, and certainly not in the task manager.

I have the listing of my startup programs well screened. I have about half of them disabled, as I don't need them, and all the rest are stuff that's been in there for quite a while, probably before the error message even started.

So I'm not sure what you mean by turn it on, and shut it down. Turn what on??? My start up list has lots of enabled items. Also, this problem only comes up occasionally, making it difficult to pinpoint.

Bocaire

Bocaire

Automatically Close Non-Responding Applications on Shutdown

Start/Run/Regedit
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Control Panel\Desktop

Value Name: AutoEndTasks, Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value), Value Data: (0 = disabled, 1 = enabled). Modify the value of 'AutoEndTasks' to equal '1' to automatically end tasks or '0' to prompt for action.

Note: This change will affect all users but the value can also be changed on a user-by-user basis by modifying [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Control Panel\Desktop] with the same values
Source: kellys-korner-xp.com

Ben

"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."

I agree with previous post by BigBadBen. Also, make sure the 'User Profile Hive Cleanup' service is installed. (See
This will delay the shutdown slightly, allowing the HKEY_CURRENT_USER hive to be unloaded properly into HKEY_USERS, i.e. preventing USERENV errors in the Events log.

Hope this helps...

Hi Ben & Rick,

Thanks for the tips.

One thing is not clear. At the present time, I occasionally get a message box during shut down, about something being open/running, and in the message box is an "End Now" button, which I click on. Sometimes another message comes up and says "program not responding", and another button to close it, which I do.

Under such a situation, will the AutoEndTasks still perform, without prompting me in any way?

The error mesage window that I occasionally get now is never preceded by any such window. It is just a message such as I posted in the start of this thread.

I will be very happy to edit the Registry as suggested. But will that stop error messages such as the one I showed in my initial post?

Bocaire

Bocaire,

It's a little difficult to give you a 100% definite answer at this moment because there may be more than one reason why you are seeing an error on shutdown.

However, if you eliminate the 2 most likely possible causes for the error, i.e. by terminating non-responding applications on shutdown (BigBadBen's tip) and by giving the registry time to unload properly (my tip) then this will make it easier to troubleshoot any other possible causes. Does that make sense?

Hope this info. helps...

This whole area is a new one to me. So please excuse me if I ask any "dumb" questions about this topic.

When I get the error messages, I can continue the shutdown by either clicking in the message, or doing nothing - which shortly just dismisses the message, and shutdown continues.

I ran eventvwr.msc, and the error mesages with the red circled X's generally noted "application hang", and "application error"

MS suggested running and installing UPHClean-Setup.msi.

Should I do this in adddition to the Registry edit suggested by BigBadBen?

I have downloaded the file UPHClean-Setup.msi from MS. Is this a proper file to run and install to hopefully help in my error message problems.

MS states the following

The User Profile Hive Cleanup service helps to ensure user sessions are completely terminated when a user logs off. System processes and applications occasionally maintain connections to registry keys in the user profile after a user logs off. In those cases the user session is prevented from completely ending. This can result in problems when using Roaming User Profiles in a server environment or when using locked profiles as implemented through the Shared Computer Toolkit for Windows XP.

Thanks for the help from all of you.

Bocaire

So please excuse me if I ask any "dumb" questions about this topic.
There are no "DUMB" questions, in my book...

MS suggested running and installing UPHClean-Setup.msi.

Should I do this in adddition to the Registry edit suggested by BigBadBen?

I have downloaded the file UPHClean-Setup.msi from MS. Is this a proper file to run and install to hopefully help in my error message problems.
Yes, there is no harm...

To answer your earlier question:

Under such a situation, will the AutoEndTasks still perform, without prompting me in any way?
Modify the value of 'AutoEndTasks' to equal '1' to automatically end tasks or '0' to prompt for action.

Ben

Bocaire,

To answer your question, yes... in my opinion, you should carry out both Ben's registry tip and my tip to install the UPHC service.

Ben's tip will hopefully stop you seeing any prompts to 'End now' any non-responsive applications. My tip will allow the profile to unload completely before the shutdown process is completed, therefore (hopefully) preventing any issues with corrupt profiles.

As a matter of interest, when you double-click on the entries marked with a red-circled x in the Event Viewer, does it tell you the name of the application that is hanging (it could be more than one)?

Hope this helps...

Rick,

Thanks for the info re double clicking on the error entry to see what was doing the hanging. I was not aware of that capability.

I did do this, and noted that there were different items which were noted. I will go through the error items, and make up a list, to see what's what.

If there are any that I consider "rouge" items, I'll check to see if they're in my start up listing, and get rid of them. So far, most look like "proper" stuff, such as

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16414, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Faulting application winlogon.exe, version 0.0.0.0, faulting module uxtheme.dll, version 6.0.2900.2180, fault address 0x000010f0.

Faulting application , version 0.0.0.0, faulting module uxtheme.dll, version 6.0.2900.2180, fault address 0x000010f0. (don't know waht this on is)

What is the general root cause of situations like this? Is something set improperly in my system, or is it a random thing casued by some "quirks" in XP Pro?

I am running a high end system, with presumable plenty of "everything".

Bocaire

Are you using any custom themes? Windows Blinds? If so then this might explain 'uxtheme.dll' being one of the hung apps. Is IE7 up-to-date with all the latest critical updates?

I believe IE 7 has all critrical updates. The version number is 7.0.5730.11. I assume this number defines its update status.

I'm not using any custom themes, nor "Windows Blinds".

I've seen IE7 and uxtheme.dll in the error messages a number of times.

I assume that these error messages are essentially only a nuisance, as they only come on shutdown, and will self dimiss themselves after a short delay.

Bocaire

Well, one thing that I noticed is that you have a version mismatch...

Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 7.0.6000.16414
and
I believe IE 7 has all critrical updates. The version number is 7.0.5730.11. I assume this number defines its update status.

another question: Have you done a complete AntiMalware and AntiViral scan lately?

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back