Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performing a System Restore

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinAr18

Programmer
Apr 25, 2002
US
I need to do a system restore, but everytime I launch it the window is just white (and you can't do anything with it).
I've tried in safe mode as well, but the problem is always the same.

Is there any other way to perform a System Restore?

For troubleshooting System Restore, try this.

Try running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking.

Run the System File Checker program from the Run Box by typing.....Sfc /Scannow in it and have your XP CD handy.

As this sounds a bit like I problem often seen with IE6 I have included this too. It wont hurt to try it.

Run each of the following from start/run: This will re-register files with winsows.

regsvr32 Shdocvw.dll
regsvr32 Shell32.dll
regsvr32 Oleaut32.dll
regsvr32 Actxprxy.dll
regsvr32 Mshtml.dll
regsvr32 Urlmon.dll

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade (Reinstallation) of Windows XP (Q315341)

Do you have the System Restore feature turned on? (prob a stupid question, but you never know - considering I made that mistake a couple of times myself) ;)

I don't have an XP cd so I can't do an in place upgrade.
It seems the system restore really messed up my system.
I registered those dlls like ya mentioned, but no go.

The only way I can get to System Restore (which shows a blank screen) is via the run menu.

It seems that my services is not working aka when you goto Administrative Tools -> Services it doesn't show anything. Any way to get get that back working so I can diagnose other things?

Was there a problem that made you want to do a system restore? It may help us if we knew why.

I installed Norton Internet Security Beta but it wouldn't work so I uninstalled it. Then I reinstalled the old version, but it wouldn't work no longer either.

So I did a system restore but decided to just go back to normal (and thus undid the system restore).

At that point I tried to fix the problems with Symantec products. I followed their proceedures on the site in properly removing Norton Internet Security. At the same time I removed Norton Antivirus. Upon installing the two programs again, Norton Antivirus would not install (gave me errors) and Norton Internet Security finally worked again. So now with my system not wanting to install the programs right I just decided maybe going back to the system restore point would be best.

So I restored back to the same point as before and whala, my computer is even more messed up.

Try to restore just the registry instead of the whole system? It sounds like it may have corrupted your registry.

What recovery options do you have? Do you have access to the Recovery Console on your machine?

HOW TO: Install and Use the Recovery Console for Windows XP (Q307654)

If you can get the Recovery Console running you could follow instructions here which will use and old system restore point to repair your registry.

An easy to follow recovery console description when unable to start computer due to corrupt registry.

Click on Tutorial then the Charlie White article on XP crash.
This is a laymans version of Q307545 in simple language.

If that fails there seems so much wrong with your machine that a reformat and re-install is the only other option (I hope I'm wrong).

How is XP loaded on your machine. If it is OEM do you have any recovery disk or partition?

You could perhaps borrow an XP CD and copy the Recovery Console off it. You should be able to run it then.

Hey kevin i need to talk to you.
When can you get on aim?

and try reinstalling xp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back