Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performing a full system backup.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringomike

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi all!

I'm new to this subject so forgive me if my question seems simple!

I'm trying to perform a full system backup of 2 UNIX machines using Solstice Backup 6.0 to an L280 (DLT) tape library. I have configured the groups and labelled the media etc but whenever I run a backup all I get is something called a "bootstrap" record which is only about 100K in size.
I've managed to backup file-system data to a DDS tape drive connected to another machine so the way my system is configured seems fine but this drive is too small to hold everything I want backed up.

I've managed to successfully configure the L280 using the "jbconfig" utility and (using nwadmin) I can label and write to the media.

Is there something else I have to configure which will allow me to write to my L280?

The instructions I have used are available on the link below;

Any help is greatly appreciated!

GM

Hi,

What are the saveset settings for the clients. If the backup server isn't in an enabled savegroup then it will perform a bootstrap backup every time a savegroup runs.

Try running:

savegrp -pnvlfull <groupname>

you should see a list of every file-system that it will try to backup.

If you run savegrp -nvlfull <groupname> it will list every file that it thinks needs backing up, without actually doing anything.

Are there any errors in the savegroup completion (look at Group Control and select the groupname you ran.

Rgds,

KSK

Thanks for the reply, it's greatly appreciated.

I'm using the GUI (I figured it would be easier to learn on) and I think I've managed to sort out what the problem was.

When adding a client I had to set the &quot;Schedule&quot; field to Default as opposed to <group name>.

Thanks again!

GM

DDS points to more than 1 storage node. By delfault, all NW
clients are configured for &quot;nsrserverhost&quot; which is an alias
for the NW server. In other words: all NW clients try to
send their data back to the server instead of saving it locally.

To change this, please edit your &quot;storage node&quot; list and make sure, you labeled a media for that pool at the NW
storage node.

And do not forget ...

Whatever you save at a remote storage node - a bootstrap
must be backed up at the NW server. You cannot redirect it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back