Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Questions!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AgentSmith

Technical User
Oct 8, 2000
US
I've been tuning up & fixing my PC lately, and I have a few performance questions.

1.My PC (named Crash) has 1-64 Mb pc-66 dimm, and 1-128mb pc-100 dimm (running @ 66Mhz). If I took my 64Mb dimm out. Then ran my 128Mb @ 100Mhz would Crash run better then before.

2.Sandra said to change Crashes Hard Drive's main function from Desktop. To Network Sever. What does this do?

3.A while back Windows got really really messed up. It was like I would click on Start and get a BSOD! So thinking I was going to have to reformat. I installed Windows 2000 in a dool boot (I wanted to see what win2k was like). About a day after I installed it. I got Windows to work right. So now that I've seen the all powerfull win2k, and windows98 is up again. How do I get rid of win2k?!?

Thanks!

for 1# it would run better, also for gamming 128 will be fine, having that extra PC66 wouldnt help your case too greatly. you might not notice right off that having the bus set at 100Mhtz is faster, but depending on the software, you will, especially in gamming.

2. Desktop optimization assumes you do not use your harddrive all that much, changing it to network server (which can be done without Sandra) makes your computer more optimized and prepared for heavy disk access, like a typical network server is used to.

3. hehe, a quick way to do it, is make sure Win98 is on your primary harddrive (for boot up purposes) if you dont care about the data on win2k, type fdisk /mbr at the dos prompt, this will clear the master boot record that Win2k typically uses to show the boot menu, then delete the Win2k partition , and perhaps later grow the Win98 partition to occupy the new empty space. You should still try out Win2k a little more, you'll notice its Much Much more stable. Unless of course you obtained some beta version or release canidate.

Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

1.Thanks! I'll take the 64Mb dimm out when I'm done here!

2.I have already done what Sandra said. Just curius about what it did.

3.Win2k Isn't on another partition. It's usuing win98's fat thingy. So would I just delete win2k off the HD then clear the boot record?!

Thanks a bundle kb244!

um Fat32 is a partition, if its on a seperate partition you just clear the boot record THEN clear the partition Win2k is using, and just expand your current Win98 partition to take up the extra space.

but yea basically thats it.

Karl
kb244@kb244.com
Experienced in : C++(both VC++ and Borland),VB1(dos) thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, HTML, Visual InterDev 6(ASP(WebProgramming/Vbscript)

Win2k is cool. But I'm really into gaming, and I only have an 8GB HD (yes a new HD is on my christmas list)! So I need all the space I can get.

I do have a P-3. So the bus speed is no problem with me. When I put the PC together I had but a lowly Celeron. Hence the 66mhz mem.

Ok. What I meant to say for question 3. Was Win2k is usuing Windows98's partition. Maybe I'm just not hearing you right though?

Also. Will clearing the boot record mess with anything else..?

Win2k cannot share a partition with Win98, and still expect both operating systems to work. (I've heard of some cases, but if you made them share, it'll be MUCH harder to get rid of Win2k)

like the way I had mine, C: is one partition on Drive1, and D: the second on the same drive, when I installed Win2k, in the advanced setting I told it to let me pick a partition, I chose D: to install to, so it made my bootloader allow me to go into Win98 or Win2k, if you installed win2k, and didnt stick it into a partition chances are it upgraded win98 to Win2k, and not saving Win98. I think it all depends on how you originally installed it.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

As I said. I thought I'd be reformatting so I figured! What the heck! oops. Bad idea!
The way I have it. I get the multi boot thing. But Win2k is still on C: drive along with win98 (wich by the way is running great). I don't know much about this type of thing so. That's why I'm asking.
Thanks!

You probally just using different folder names

System folder
C:\windows (win98) --- C:\winnt (Win2k)

Windows98 uses a bunch of My Document, Program files, etc while as Win2k groups them together under a C:\documents\yourname\....

so the directories didnt cross over (which is less than I Can see for the Program files group)

probally why you managed to have it working great, but since that is the case, a clean format would probally be the best way to go if you dont mine reformating.
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

In response to kb244

I was hoping not to reformat (I have over 300Mbs of MP3's).
Thanks for the help!

In response to comtech.

I put it back in last night. To see if I could notice the difference. And Sandra said. It can run at 125Mhz! Thats some good 66Mhz ram! heh heh! :)
Thanks!

create a new partition, (resizing your original if you have to) move all the data you want over into the new partition, format the original partition, and reinstall onto the original, and pull data from the new partition back into the old, or you can keep the new as D: for your "backup" partition

like mine

60G - System Drive (3 partitions 20G each)
13G - Backup Drive (1 partition)
10G - FTP/Temp Drive (1 partition)
Karl
kb244@kb244.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back