Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jusenkyo

Programmer
Aug 16, 2002
GB
Hi guys

I have a database that presently has 56 users accessing it over a network. I know that Microsoft doesn't recommend anymore than 25 users accesing one database - but is there any way to get around it and improve the performance of the database with 56 users?

Some ideas for a start, although none of these will help you if you have 56 concurrent users!

- Front-end on the user's PC, back-end (with only the shared data tables in it) on the server.

- Compile the db as an MDE.

- If you're using Access 2000 host the db on a server running Windows 2000 rather than NT, VMS, UNIX, etc (can cure certain problems opening items in design view) [pc2]

One methid I have seen, don't know if it is an option for you but.

Move the back end to SQLserver or such. Then in a common location place a production copy of the application. disign a .bat file on everyone computer that copies the database from the common [lace to their computer on boot every time. Thsi gives the user there own copy taht is updated every time they boot so that any changes or automaticlly diseminated to the users. Moving the backend to SQL Cerver gives huge performance increase and vurtually unlimited users can access the data.

I'm hoping that your application uses only unbound forms if not the performance indrease will not be huge.

good luck
ssecca

You can use batch files to do this copying only when needed, and can use this method with an all-access solution. For a write-up on this, check out the Developers' Section on my web site.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Thanks allot for the replies guys.

What I ave decided to do is to split my 56 users into 2 groups - the ones that need to read the data, and the ones that write the data.

What happens now, is each morning I copy the tables from the live data to the read only database (using macros), and those that dont actually update the data,use this database, and those users that do update the data - use the live version.

Again though, thanks for your suggestions - I will be migrating to SQL soon!

Other suggestion is split your database in many databases.

Example:

Customer_be.mdb
Production_be.mdb
Administration_be.mdb
Etc.

Connect the user only when he need information after that close the database. Each user stay in the Back End Database only for few second after that is gone. When you add a new record, use a Temporary Database in front end after the user approve the new record, transfert the information on server because (sometimes the user stay in forms many times). When you read a record put the information on temporary database.

Yipes. I would strongly recommend against splitting your back end. This user base is not so large as to require it. Good front end coding will make the database run fine w/o doing this, and the disadvantages seem obvious.

Jeremy =============
Jeremy Wallace
Designing, Developing, and Deploying Access Databases Since 1995

Take a look at the Developer's section of the site for some helpful fundamentals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back