Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance on Compaq Smartarray 5i Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYBERPING

Technical User
Dec 17, 2002
DE
Hi Folks,

we're using an Compaq Smartarray 5i Controller integraded in a Compaq Proliant Server ML370 G2. Firmware Revision is 1.80. Server is configured with 4x 36 GB HDD at one RAID Channel.

We're experiencing Data Transfer Rates about 3-4 MB/s from differtent OS Partitions. This is too slow !!!

Has anybody an idea ?

The integrated controller is a pretty basic controller and not real speedy. We quit using them here in favor of more powerful ones that have loads of cache.

I'm not sure what the specs on them are, but that speed is about what we saw here. You might want to look at the SMART 5300 controllers.

3-4 MB/s is slow, for any controller.

What RAID level are you running the array in?

How are you obtaining your throughput numbers?

The Tool we're using is from HP (Performance Assesment Tool 1.2) to get Data Transfer Throughput (Simulated) between Disk and Tape Drive. Found out that Data Transfer Rate Swaps when testing with Many Files and one (!) File (about 24 MB/s, loading file in cache).

HP is going to use only Output from this tool for Support !

RAID is configured as RAID 5.

Tested with an usual IDE Disk at my home pc, got Transfer Rate 30MB/s ;-))))

Does any one have a link for this performance assessment tool?
I have googled to no avail ;-(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back