Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance of 6.x vs. 7.x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
Can anyone tell me roughly (From a 10,000 ft. level) what the performance differences are between a 6.x site and a 7.x site? I am trying to determine if I need bigger or smaller servers with the new release.

V7 copes with any schema - it doesn't need a Star or Snowflake, so that could allow you to normalise some less frequently accessed data and use less space. The database drivers have been improved so it should run faster.

We currently have version 5 and we are moving to 7. Do you have any experience with 7?

For web, you'll find that performance with version 7 is much snappier because there are no activex / java downloads, and no sql generation, and no database connections on the web server.

Intelligence server has been revamped to house all application logic including sql generation. But they've also improved the performance with caching for all user operations (including loading elements for filters, reports etc). Overall, the performance is on par, if not slightly better with intelligence server 6 vs 7.

Nick

MSTR7 generates more efficient SQL to qurey the DW. So the response time will be very less.
The 7.x version of the tool is very flexible. so you can do almost everything with that(it may require customisations).
If anybody plans to maigrate to 7.x please use version 7.1 or higher because 7.1 handles the migration better that 7.x.

We have just now implemented a datamart with ver 7.0, but however we are yet to focus or get responses on the performance side.

However
Ver 7.x has lot of features compared to ver 6.0 in terms of enhancements on performance with all load concentrated on the intelligence server and enhancements in caching features which does at the element level. Also with support for clustering of servers made more easier, i think there should be a better performance than in ver 6.0.

vijay

In Version 6 you have seperate applications for Architect, Agent and Administrator. But in V7 everything in a single Desktop

I don't know v6. But I know V7. So, I couldn't compare much. V7 has Object prompt,search etc. Totally V7 is totally adifferent look as well as performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back