Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance issues..please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

dublin101

Technical User
May 26, 2006
AU
hi..

psql 9.5 with sp2.

struggling bad with performance..

i check the performance monitor often to see that the:

pages per sec averages at around 300
average disk queue averages from 3 - 6

i asked the application guys and they had me change a few settings in the pervasive control center...but that didn't do much at all..

all of the users are going crazy..

dual xeon 3.0Ghz with 2GB of RAM..the CPU and RAM are fine performance wise (seems to be so anyway).

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks
Edit/Delete Message

As stated on another forum, you need to provide a lot more information.
Specifically, you need to tell us what the application is actually doing.
From one of my posts on the other site:
As far as the rest of it. HOw does the application work? Does it use the Btrieve interface or the SQL interface? What if you simulate some of the operations outside of the application? Is it slow?

Have you talked with the vendor of the application? WHat do they say other than changing a few settings?

I know that Btrieve/SQL is more than capable of handling 50 concurrent users. I know of sites that have over 1000 concurrent users with no problems.

You need to find out what's actually slow. Is it the Btrieve/SQL portion, the network, the disk access, the application, or something else.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

thanks for that,..

i'm also curious about the server.. but i'm still sceptical that an upgrade to an e.g 2 x dual core server might not even make it much better..

what are your thoughts? thanks

Usually upgrading the CPU doesn't help. THe PSQL engine is usually I/O bound not CPU bound.

Mirtheil
Certified Pervasive Developer
Certified Pervasive Technician

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back