Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance Issue on small table

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcbcheng

Programmer
May 17, 2000
HK
I am new to Oracle, and have no knowledge on it. <br>I have a small system, in which only 2 tables get over<br>10000 records. However, when I writing SQL to retrieve <br>data ( join from 4 or 5 table ). It takes around 15 <br>minutes to retrieve the date ( around 4000 records will <br>be selected ). Can anyone tell me what should I do ?<br><br>P.S. I have try to look at the plan table, and saw that <br>amost all table using index scan, and only one table use <br>full scan. The statistics of the full scan table is ( <br>cost=60, cardinalty=24 ... ) Is it the problem of the <br>full scan table <br><br>

In my experience, the Oracle optimizer does poorly with joins of more than 4 tables.<br>(1) Learn what all the lines in the Explain Plan mean. Use the Oracle8 Server Tuning Guide.<br>(2) Especially look for 'CARTESIAN' - a red flag. It can be caused by:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;(2a) a poor ordering of joins.<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;(2b) not enough 'joining' criteria. If joining 5 tables, there should be at least 4 criteria that match keys across tables, like 'WHERE A.key = B.key', and each table should be included in it.<br>(3) check what kind of join is done - Nested Loops, Sort Merge, or Hash.<br>If Nested Loops, try increasing sort memory before the SQL is executed with:<br>&nbsp;&nbsp;ALTER SESSION SET SORT_AREA_SIZE = 4000000;<br>The default from Oracle is only 64k.More sort and has memory can speed up the SQL amazingly.<br>(4) Understand the problem and its details. Until you know whether there are 4 tables or 5, you're not likely to succed in tuning the statement.

It will be the full table scan, always is... &lt;smile&gt; <p>Mike<br><a href=mailto:Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com>Mike_Lacey@Cargill.Com</a><br><a href= Cargill's Corporate Web Site</a><br>Please don't send me email questions without posting them in Tek-Tips as well. Better yet -- Post the question in Tek-Tips and send me a note saying "Have a look at so-and-so in the thingy forum would you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back