Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance increase for batch transactions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownie124

Programmer
Sep 19, 2002
US
Hi,

If I am inserting millions of records (in small batches of 5000 at a time), would I get any measurable performance gain by doing these in a transaction and committing the 5000 all at once as opposed to inserting one at a time. The records themselves are relatively small, 3 columns, 1 primary key and one additional indexed column.

Thanks,
- Michael

Yes, there is a substantial performance increase to be had. Because of implicit transactions, there each individual insert is considered its' own transaction, so locks need to be obtained on the table for each one. By placing these inside a transaction, the locks only need to be opened and closed once, resulting in a substantial performance gain.

Hope this helps,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Thank you very much. That is what I thought. Do you know where I can possibly see an example of how this might be done in C++ via ODBC or ADO?

Thanks,
- Michael

I don't know a thing about C++, although I think the best way you could do it is to have a stored procedure executed from your front end. If you browse FAQ's in this forum or C++ forum I am sure you will find something to point you in the right direction.

Good Luck,

Alex

Ignorance of certain subjects is a great part of wisdom

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back