Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance in case of View

Status
Not open for further replies.

manishjoisar

Programmer
Apr 29, 2002
IN
can creating views will reduce the performance??

Can Nested view can reduce performance

What to do to have Greater Performance using Views

SQL Server 2000
ASP.NET

Thanks

i have gone thru link, it is good.

I have nested index.
It mean if i want to particular view to be index then all the parent view to be WITH SCHEMABINDING

And if i have written SCRIPTS for Creating a DATABASE then it should be deleted in order

Waiting for your reply

Thanks for quick reply

I am not sure what your question is. Do you want to find out the benefits of schemabinding?

Or are you looking for the syntax?

Regards,
AA

Create View View_1
SELECT Field1,Field2 FROM Table1

CREATE View View_2 WITH SCHEMABINDING
SELECT Field1,Field2 FROM View_1

will not work as View_1 is not WITH SCHEMABINDING

It means all the PARENT VIEW to be WITH SCHEMABINDING
to CREATE Index on Views ??

Thanks

AFAIK you are right, a view cannot be created with schemabinding if the parent is not schemabinding.

Let us take this step by step:
Creating view_1 with schemabinding option makes sure that the base table is not dropped / altered columns that might affect the view definition.

Creating view_2 with schemabinding option makes sure that the view_1 is not dropped / altered until view_2 is dropped / altered (remove schemabinding). Integrity is maintained till level 2.

On the other hand if you do not create view_1 with schemabinding there is no way for you to make sure the base table is not dropped / altered to affect the view_1 which in turn affects view_2 hence sql server does not allow you to create view_2 with schemabinding option.

Hope this helps
Regards,
AA

Hit return too soon.
Finishing points:

All Indexed views must be created using schema binding and any user-defined functions referenced in the view must also be created with the SCHEMABINDING option.

For creating an indexed view on a table parent must be schemabinded too.

Regards,
AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back