Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Performance factor in Access 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fred48

Programmer
Feb 23, 2004
US
Hi,

We just changed our VB software from DAO to ADO and use Access 2000 and have notice a "big" performance hit when reading/saving files to a server.

We have a database that is 533,716 kb in size and is taking forever to read from a server. We never had this problem with DAO/Access95 and I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Fred

It MAY not be the ADO that's biting you. Are you running an Access front-end that went from 95 to Access 2000?
I had a HUGE performance hit when I upgraded from 97 to 2000 and it was due to the now infamous "Track autocorrect" option under Tools/Options/General. This option is ON by default under Access 2000 (and beyond, I believe).
Turning it off solved my problem.

(My performance hit was appx ten-fold on some forms due to some complicated stuff going on under the hood).
There are some other things that can hurt as well (like turn off the subdatasheets for subtables/forms)

Let me know how it goes.
Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back