Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

performace problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

habesha

Programmer
Oct 30, 2006
US
I have this query

The table PHOENIX.EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS has clustsed index defined on EAE_ID and nonclustsred index defined on EAE_NUMBER

SELECT EAE_ID FROM PHOENIX.EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS
WHERE CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) LIKE ISNULL(NULL, CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) )

when I run it it is index scaning which costs much time, what should I do

here is it showplan

|--Index Scan(OBJECT:([DaidsesDev4].[Phoenix].[EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS].[EAE_NUMBER_UK]), WHERE:(like(Convert([EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS].[EAE_NUMBER]), Convert([EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS].[EAE_NUMBER]), NULL)))

Thanks

First of all, IsNull will return the second parameter if the first parameter is null. since you are hardcoding NULL for the first parameter, the second parameter will always be used, so your query can be simplified to...

WHERE CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) LIKE CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15))

Next... Like without % symbol will always evaluate the same as =, so...

WHERE CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) = CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15))

Next... since both sides of the = are the same, the only records that will return are those where the field is not null, so you can use that instead.

WHERE EAE_NUMBER is Not NULL

There you have it. I'll get this query runs a lot faster.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

Thank you for ur swift response

Actually the query is like this.There is an incoming parameter @p_In_EAE_NUMBER_Vch

SELECT EAE_ID FROM EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS
WHERE CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) LIKE ISNULL(@p_In_EAE_NUMBER_Vch, CAST(EAE_NUMBER AS VARCHAR(15)) )

any suggestion

Code:
SELECT EAE_ID 
FROM   EXPEDITED_ADVERSE_EVENTS 
WHERE  (@p_In_EAE_NUMBER_Vch Is NULL
       Or EAE_NUMBER = @p_In_EAE_NUMBER_Vch)

Essentially, if @p_In_EAE_NUMBER_Vch is null, all records will be retured. If it's not null, then only records that match will be returned.

-George

Strong and bitter words indicate a weak cause. - Fortune cookie wisdom

This still goes to index scanning whta should I do to improve it

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back